Docklands

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Docklands

Post by mazman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:05 pm

bilby wrote:You're not going to "get sick" from eating fish from the Docklands / Yarra after eating them - the concern is more about the build up of contaminants in the body over years (or even decades). Trevally should be fine, as they are a non-resident species. Bream (which are resident, but travel between the estuaries in the bay, such as the Werribee) are recommended for consumption at the rate of no more than 150 grams per week. I would assume the same for mulloway, as they eat a lot of estuary fish while in the river systems themselves.
Based on the stories I've heard of mulloway eating bream I wouldn't be eating one out of there myself
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

bilby

Post by bilby » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:35 am

Agreed - but "... out of there" also means the other rivers (e.g. Patterson and Werribee) and the bay itself, since they're all the same stock of fish. So if you wouldn't eat a mulloway out of Docklands, you also shouldn't be eating one from Port Melbourne or Carrum.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:43 am

bilby wrote:Agreed - but "... out of there" also means the other rivers (e.g. Patterson and Werribee) and the bay itself, since they're all the same stock of fish. So if you wouldn't eat a mulloway out of Docklands, you also shouldn't be eating one from Port Melbourne or Carrum.
First of all the mentioned rivers have their own problems that would mean I wouldn't want to eat one out of there. Secondly do you have any evidence regarding their movements between systems? Very interested in their movements.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:47 am

mazman wrote:
bilby wrote:Agreed - but "... out of there" also means the other rivers (e.g. Patterson and Werribee) and the bay itself, since they're all the same stock of fish. So if you wouldn't eat a mulloway out of Docklands, you also shouldn't be eating one from Port Melbourne or Carrum.
First of all the mentioned rivers have their own problems that would mean I wouldn't want to eat one out of there. Secondly do you have any evidence regarding their movements between systems? Very interested in their movements.
Werribee river is good clean water, from the sewerage farm.

Gra

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:33 pm

yeah i reckon i would eat salmon snapper and trevs but not the bream in docklands

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:25 pm

today I headed down to docklands once again. I got to my favourite pier around 6:30 and started fishing. A man next to me pulled up a tiny snapper about 20 centimetres long. The morning was pretty quiet and I had no hookups. Got some nice bites but only managed 6 small yellowfin gobys. Then all of a sudden I heard my rod scraping across against the concrete. I grabbed my rod and I was on. After a nice fight I pulled up a 33 centimetre Aussie salmon. I hit it on the head then bled it. The rest of the day was pretty quiet and I only got small bites, overall a fun days fishing with a decent result. I will be heading out a lot in the upcoming fortnight as it's school holidays, so stay tuned in :super: :water:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:08 pm

Nice sambo mate.
Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Yi1978

Post by Yi1978 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Good job, must be pretty cold there today hey? Due to work haven't been there for a couple of weeks now, heading there next week hopefully with my son. The weather doesnt look very promising though

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:36 pm

yeah it sure was freezing :nicefish!:

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:39 pm

the salmon from today
Attachments
IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG

Return to “Snapper Fishing”