Docklands

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
barwonboy

Re: Docklands

Post by barwonboy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:59 am

Went down to docklands again yesterday and this time persistence finally paid off. I rocked up to my favourite pier in docklands and started using plastics, after about 1 and a half hours I got nothing so I switched to bait. I was using two rods, one with a paternoster rig and the other was a running sinker rig. After about an hour of that I was getting bites but I couldn't hook what ever they were. So I switched to something tough and put on some chicken, straight away my reel was screaming and after I good fight I pulled up a nice trevally. It turned out there was a school of trevally and I pulled up 4 within 10 minutes. Then It went quiet and I went to harbour town for lunch. When I returned I used chicken like I did before hoping the school was still around. After 15 minutes I caught a small yellowfin goby, then the school of trevally returned! This time I landed 2 and lost about 3. Over all I ended up with 6 trevally for dinner and I invited some mates over for dinner.
:cheers: :water: :a_goodjob: :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:12 am

Nice one mate!
How big were the trevs?

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:34 am

Well done mate :thumbsup:

Yi1978

Post by Yi1978 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:16 pm

good job . heard trevallys are good to eat raw like sashimi

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys, the trevallys were around 25cm so just on size :cheers:

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:54 am

Those docks trevs taste weird... but maybe that's just me. They are pretty fun to catch though, SPs do work pretty well on them but you need to drop the hook size

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:36 am

just a heads up that the trevally tasted just as good as snapper and no one was sick so its good to eat i guess

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:37 am

the school holidays are coming up so i will be fishing pretty much evry day aha, ill let you all know how i go

Yi1978

Post by Yi1978 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:42 pm

barwonboy wrote:the school holidays are coming up so i will be fishing pretty much evry day aha, ill let you all know how i go
Seriously jealous of u now

bilby

Post by bilby » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:04 pm

You're not going to "get sick" from eating fish from the Docklands / Yarra after eating them - the concern is more about the build up of contaminants in the body over years (or even decades). Trevally should be fine, as they are a non-resident species. Bream (which are resident, but travel between the estuaries in the bay, such as the Werribee) are recommended for consumption at the rate of no more than 150 grams per week. I would assume the same for mulloway, as they eat a lot of estuary fish while in the river systems themselves.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”