Budget Bait.

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Budget Bait.

Post by rb85 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:09 pm

With the snapper coming into Western Port and Port Phillip going from a trickle to a steady flow. Plenty of people are keen on catching a few reds.

For me I catch fresh squid for bait primarily but understand people are don't always have that luxury. So what is the cheapest freshest alternative to calamari caught that day or vacuum sealed frozen calamari?

Pilchards are a good school snapper bait but I'm not sold on them for Big Red in Westernport and Californian Squid I hear is getting quite expensive with prices rumoured to be at $39 a box which doesn't compare to freshly caught. So what do you guys who don't catch fresh squid do and where is the cheapest and most expensive locations to purchase bait around Melb?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Budget Bait.

Post by Nude up » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Vtackle Radnor dr deer park cheap bulk bait. If all else fails the fish shop sells silver whiting, slimies, yackkas and squid both types arrow and calamari. I have always found plenty of fresh bait in westernport

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:05 pm

rb85 wrote:With the snapper coming into Western Port and Port Phillip going from a trickle to a steady flow. Plenty of people are keen on catching a few reds.

For me I catch fresh squid for bait primarily but understand people are don't always have that luxury. So what is the cheapest freshest alternative to calamari caught that day or vacuum sealed frozen calamari?

Pilchards are a good school snapper bait but I'm not sold on them for Big Red in Westernport and Californian Squid I hear is getting quite expensive with prices rumoured to be at $39 a box which doesn't compare to freshly caught. So what do you guys who don't catch fresh squid do and where is the cheapest and most expensive locations to purchase bait around Melb?
I think it's always worth trying various baits - one year most of my snapper came from Couta strips and fresh couta seamed to be around and easy to catch every trip - I have caught snapper on Flathead fillets in both bays and for Pillies getting good solid pillies isn't always the case from the bait freezers -- I alway get mine from the springvale markets and have found them to be better quality than the bait freezer

this year I will try Mantis Shrimp in WP at the shallow end of the pool - I'll be surprised if they don't take snaps -- as for squid a mate has bought his from the same Spring vale markets cheaper than bait freezer squid and caught plenty of fish on it
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
I think it's always worth trying various baits - one year most of my snapper came from Couta strips and fresh couta seamed to be around and easy to catch every trip - I have caught snapper on Flathead fillets in both bays and for Pillies getting good solid pillies isn't always the case from the bait freezers -- I alway get mine from the springvale markets and have found them to be better quality than the bait freezer

this year I will try Mantis Shrimp in WP at the shallow end of the pool - I'll be surprised if they don't take snaps -- as for squid a mate has bought his from the same Spring vale markets cheaper than bait freezer squid and caught plenty of fish on it
I agree with Cheater on Bait from Springy market. I buy small fresh pillies for $5.50/kg and Nice fresh Squid from $6-$9/Kg and they are super fresh & I've caught heaps on them. I used to buy the California Box Squid but the prices are nuts and I find the fresh Aussie ones from the market cheaper and actually fish better.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:28 am

Go to your local fish shop, you can pick up stuff like salmon, trevally and pike for under $5/kg at some places. I still prefer to catch my own but in a pinch the fish shop usually has something.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:24 am

Fresh off the boat & family owned
IMG_1249.JPG

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 am

Mattblack wrote:Fresh off the boat & family owned
IMG_1249.JPG
+1 vancouver frozen 1kg pillie bags. I get mine from a local epping fishmonger who sells them at a slight premium from getting direct from willy. Seem to stay firm on hook if hooked on just as they are defrosting.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Cheapest bait is that caught yourself fresh. You guys have got some viable alternatives but I think ill stick to freshly caught or vacuum sealed baits I caught myself.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”