Braving Port Phillip tomorrow - anyone else?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Braving Port Phillip tomorrow - anyone else?

Post by Nude up » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:17 am

Hammy Y wrote:
Nude up wrote:Sat arvo is looking good for me got a job early in portarlington but hope to launch for an arvo session
How'd you go Nude?
The boat never left the drive way. I got to portarlington Friday night. Sat I had a couple of jobs to do then lunch with the misses I had a walk on the pier around 3 people were catching trevali. The misses went home around 5 I decided to stay on I don't have to be back at work till Tuesday.
I was hoping the wind would drop but it didn't and with an outgoing tide and the nor'easter I decided to hit the pier, I got there about 730 pm I put out a squid head and a whole pille. I am in awe of guys that fish land based. In the boat I can move use my electronics to find fish you can not do that land based,
Half hour in I get an enquiry on the squid head it was a port Jackson around 5 kg
Hopefully the wind will drop sun

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:13 am

Your better then me nude up. I dont have the pateints for peir fishing.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:28 am

A boat most certainly makes finding fish a bit easier. Catching them though is another story.
I certainly dont mind the easy packup for landbased fishing as opposed to cleaning a boat after fishing..

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:31 am

Water is still too cold for the snapper to fire up properly.

<13 deg surface temp isnt enough... I'd wait until it reached at least 15deg

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:35 am

When do adult snapper arrive to Port Phillip Bay during each year's spawning migrations?

The earliest tagged snapper arrival occurred on September 2, 2012, but overall most fish arrived in October each year.
When do adult snapper leave Port Phillip Bay after each year's spawning season?

Two periods of snapper departures were discovered, the main period was December-January, and a smaller second period occurred in April-May.
How do these migration patterns relate to the bay's water temperature?

Most snapper arrived though Port Phillip Heads when the water temperature in the bay was between 13-16°C,
The peak period of detections on the main fishing grounds occurred in November, when the water temperature was between 16-18 °C,
The migrations are cued to ensure that the egg and larval stages develop in optimal temperature conditions of 18-22°C,
As temperature reaches 19°C adult snapper disperse away from the main Carrum Bight spawning region and many leave the bay, those that remain appear to go further south and likely stay deeper off Mornington.
Do 'individual' adult snapper come and go each year?

Yes, many snapper come and go each year and they show consistent times of arrival and departure (often within days between years - see the links to example movement maps)
Repeat migrants also generally used the same areas of the bay in different years.
How do they behave once in the bay?

During October-December adult snapper move around a lot. They rarely spend any more than one day near an individual listening station, and mostly spent less than a few hours at any one time,
Adult snapper commonly move distances of up 10 km in a 24 hour period, some fish traversed the bay from north to south in 24 hours, covering a distance of 40-50 km,
Adult snapper regular used artificial reefs, particularly in November, and repeatedly moved to and from specific locations, showing exceptional navigational capabilities.
What did the Pinkies do?

Pinkies showed much longer periods of residency at specific locations, often staying putt for weeks to months at a time,
Pinkies tagged on artificial reefs typically used these habitats over spring/summer but moved to natural reefs in the north of the bay (Mordialloc-Hobsons Bay) in autumn/winter,
Pinkies tagged on natural reefs almost exclusively used natural reefs,
Some Pinkies moved large distances from the Carrum Bight to Geelong Arm, typically following the shallow reef areas to the north and west,
Pinkies that were tagged on artificial reefs in summer and moved to naturel reef in autumn/winter often homed back to artificial reefs were they were tagged the following spring,
Only two pinkies appeared to leave the bay over the 400 day period of their tag life,
Overall pinkies showed a high dependency on shallow natural and artificial reef habitat.

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Nude up wrote:
Hammy Y wrote:
Nude up wrote:Sat arvo is looking good for me got a job early in portarlington but hope to launch for an arvo session
How'd you go Nude?
The boat never left the drive way. I got to portarlington Friday night. Sat I had a couple of jobs to do then lunch with the misses I had a walk on the pier around 3 people were catching trevali. The misses went home around 5 I decided to stay on I don't have to be back at work till Tuesday.
I was hoping the wind would drop but it didn't and with an outgoing tide and the nor'easter I decided to hit the pier, I got there about 730 pm I put out a squid head and a whole pille. I am in awe of guys that fish land based. In the boat I can move use my electronics to find fish you can not do that land based,
Half hour in I get an enquiry on the squid head it was a port Jackson around 5 kg
Sounds good mate, at least you can have a relax.
Tight lines

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:33 pm

Hammy Y wrote:
Nude up wrote:
Hammy Y wrote:
How'd you go Nude?
Only problem now is my arse hurts from sitting on a bucket for a few hours
Sounds good mate, at least you can have a relax.
Tight lines

Return to “Snapper Fishing”