Snapper Season Checklist

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
fitzy90

Snapper Season Checklist

Post by fitzy90 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Well............. Interesting session at Willy tonight to say the least, i think i have checked off all the usual snapper season peeves in one night.

Anchored up with no one around, had 20 boats around us within 30 mins...........Check
Had a yacht cut in too close while at anchor and run over the lines and hook the yacht................Check
Had no less than 4 boats anchor within 20 meters and within a minute swing around and nearly hit the boat.............Check
Saw a boat hit another boat at anchor, the guy at anchor didn't like that much so stabbed holes in the other boats clear covers.........Check
Had a boat put his anchor over our lines, all of which got tangled in the anchor and lost all the rigs..........Check
Hook a police boat............check

What a mental session, lucky we caught some snapper before the onslaught! Two bites for two fish both on silver whiting.

Cant wait to see what else snapper season brings!!!!
Attachments
IMG_7389-2.jpg
IMG_7402.jpg
IMG_7386.jpg

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Snapper Season Checklist

Post by smile0784 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Pardon my french. But how stupid are some people.
None of that needed to happen if ppl just kept a bit of distance and a bit of respect for following anglers.

Otherwise nice fish tho

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Wow. I'm certainly not in a great rush to fish out of Melbourne.

I've never had someone anchor so close they could actually hit me when swinging around...

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:03 pm

scott__henning wrote:Wow. I'm certainly not in a great rush to fish out of Melbourne.

I've never had someone anchor so close they could actually hit me when swinging around...
It's pretty ridiculous at times to be honest. The biggest clue I ever had to stay away from the pack was the fact that when I first started out, boats would pull up next to me and fish. At that time we had no idea what we were doing so I now assume every other boat has no idea.

Fitzy, another nice catch!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:08 am

Stabbed holes in the clears that's one way to teach someone a lesson lol.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:08 am

Willy n Altona snapper grounds r so easy to access from ramp , that every sheep n newish fisho go there.....water police should be handing out fines for bad /dangerous boating...imo

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 am

bowl wrote:Willy n Altona snapper grounds r so easy to access from ramp , that every sheep n newish fisho go there.....water police should be handing out fines for bad /dangerous boating...imo
Do water police work at night? Only ever get audited during daylight hours. Could anchor all night get pissed as with no lights on or no safety equipment and the water police or maritime safety are no where to be seen.

But they are happy to sit at boatramps and fine people for driving on a trailer without a life jacket.

There's no problem doing safety equipment audits but police those being a danger to others also.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:02 am

Funny thing that herd mentality....I always get my turf invaded 10 minutes after dropping anchor. Little do these space invaders know I have NFI what I'm doing.

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:28 am

rb85 wrote:Stabbed holes in the clears that's one way to teach someone a lesson lol.
It was nuts, about 20 meters behind us a bloke in a tinny was fishing by himself, a big whittley pulled up near him and anchored and swung around and hit him, there was a bit of pushing and shoving then the tinny bloke pulls a 15 inch filleting knife and starts waving it around then stabs holes in the whittleys clear covers. Honestly thought someone was going to get knifed.

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:29 am

rb85 wrote:
bowl wrote:Willy n Altona snapper grounds r so easy to access from ramp , that every sheep n newish fisho go there.....water police should be handing out fines for bad /dangerous boating...imo
Do water police work at night? Only ever get audited during daylight hours. Could anchor all night get pissed as with no lights on or no safety equipment and the water police or maritime safety are no where to be seen.

But they are happy to sit at boatramps and fine people for driving on a trailer without a life jacket.

There's no problem doing safety equipment audits but police those being a danger to others also.
The water police came later on in the day, about half the boats cleared once they turned up

Return to “Snapper Fishing”