snapper tips?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
barwonboy

snapper tips?

Post by barwonboy » Sat May 05, 2018 5:19 pm

hey guys im planning on heading out for snapper this upcoming wednesday, i really want to get onto some and i dont really care if theyre small pinkies or larger ones. i mainly want to get dad onto something that fights harder than a flathead. ive got a big pack of pilchards, fish guts and skeletons, and other old bait for burley. ive got some freshly caught squid and im planning on buying some sand whiting and some slimys for bait. any tips for spots or anything else will much appriecated.

williwonder

Re: snapper tips?

Post by williwonder » Sat May 05, 2018 5:30 pm

The fishing around Altona has been so poor I have given up for this season. Will do some work on the boat, regroup and hit it again in late Sept

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:50 pm

Dont really need whiting or slimies this time of year.
Squid strips and pilchards will work if there there.
Buy some burley big pellets and poor tuna oil over.them 2 hours befor you depart and slowly feed them into the water.
Use 3 to 6kg outfits and the small ones will be fun and can still get bigger ones but its a challenge.
How long you fishing for?
Mite need 2 bags pilchards
Last edited by smile0784 on Sat May 05, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat May 05, 2018 6:52 pm

Tried around black rock mate? :)

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat May 05, 2018 6:59 pm

williamstown- rockwall next to life saving club, time ball tower would be way too snaggy for most people
yarra - lorimer street pick a marker most are easy to cast to to be in deep water. prolly be best best.

im off to go fishing after 10pm tonight when the wife gets home from work not far from scienceworks ill post if i have any luck

chook pallets 5kg bag $5.50 at pet store at footscray market, tuna oil bcf big red is the brand seems to have better results

anyway goodluck

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Don’t really fish for pinkies, but if your not experienced then catching a Snapper this time of year will be tougher going than it already is.
Try your luck at one of the many reefs PPB has to offer for pinkies on sunrise or sunset. Fresh squid and good quality pilchards, burley is optional and it doesn’t matter what you use for burley, personally don’t rate pellets. I’d just be throwing a handful of Pilchard cubes in the water every so often as there’s no current north PPB to try get some activity going, they will come in pick those up and then pounce on your baits.
The rig id be using is simple as anything. Snelled 5/0 Gamakatsu suicides up to a glow bead to a very small running sinker above the glow bead on 1m of 30lb leader to swivel. Good luck

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Sun May 06, 2018 1:49 pm

thanks heaps for the tips guys, im gonna launch around brighton and im gonna try and find some sort of structure ans burley up, ill let you know on how i go

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 am

Good luck mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 07, 2018 7:55 am

barwonboy wrote:thanks heaps for the tips guys, im gonna launch around brighton and im gonna try and find some sort of structure ans burley up, ill let you know on how i go
I launched from St Kilda yesterday in calm conditions with the missus and got a nice bag of pinkies at black rock in 6-9 metres :thumbsup:

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Mon May 07, 2018 10:24 am

Lightningx wrote:
barwonboy wrote:thanks heaps for the tips guys, im gonna launch around brighton and im gonna try and find some sort of structure ans burley up, ill let you know on how i go
I launched from St Kilda yesterday in calm conditions with the missus and got a nice bag of pinkies at black rock in 6-9 metres :thumbsup:

good job mate, ill probably try around there aswell

Return to “Snapper Fishing”