Fishing for snapper and flathead from a small 4 metre high side tinny in port phillip

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Jodowright2

Re: Fishing for snapper and flathead from a small 4 metre high side tinny in port phillip

Post by Jodowright2 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks heaps fellas. All very helpful! Is there a certain depth you go to for flatties? Or just drift off a beach ? I could pick up a pinky drifting for flatties?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Fishing for snapper and flathead from a small 4 metre high side tinny in port phillip

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Jodowright2 wrote:Thanks heaps fellas. All very helpful! Is there a certain depth you go to for flatties? Or just drift off a beach ? I could pick up a pinky drifting for flatties?
I usually drift quite shallow for flatties anywhere between 4-6 metres I have done best but having said that have caught them out deeper as well. Yes it’s possible to pick up some pinkies too while drifting. I have on many occasions :) also got kgw on the drift as well :thumbsup:

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed May 23, 2018 10:16 pm

Bit of a change going from the fresh to the salt. Will be like a whole new fishing world for ya!
Yes you can catch those species out of your tinny. You could catch a tuna too if you wanted! The key to fishing the salt is reading the weather and knowing you and your boat's capabilities. Much of that comes with experience though. Winds below 10knots and blowing offshore to where you launch from, will be safest and most comfortable for you. Might be wise to do a safety gear check too, as you will require in-date flares onboard.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu May 24, 2018 8:20 am

Hope this link is helpful for you...viewtopic.php?f=70&t=19478&hilit=boat+ramps+2017

Jodowright2

Post by Jodowright2 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:57 am

thanks heaps fellas.i suppose the more i go out the more ill learn. ill do a check later today and go find a local fishing store near st kilda black rock area. any good ones in mind?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 24, 2018 9:18 am

Jodowright2 wrote:thanks heaps fellas.i suppose the more i go out the more ill learn. ill do a check later today and go find a local fishing store near st kilda black rock area. any good ones in mind?
Highly recommend southern sport Fisher in black rock.
Over the years have bought a lot of tackle from there. Wayne’s a top bloke :thumbsup:

Return to “Snapper Fishing”