Fishing for snapper and flathead from a small 4 metre high side tinny in port phillip

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Jodowright2

Fishing for snapper and flathead from a small 4 metre high side tinny in port phillip

Post by Jodowright2 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi guys, sorry if this question is a repeat. I have moved to Essendon from Yarrawonga and want to start chasing snapper, flathead and gummies ect. i was was thinking about putting in at brighton ramp but have no idea in what areas produce good fish, what to look for, what bait, drift or anchor, will my 4 metre boat be big enough? i have been looking at a few gps locations but most are a fair way out for my boat.

i would appreciate any information as its killing me not knowing where to fish or what ramps i should be going too.

thanks in advance

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Fishing for snapper and flathead from a small 4 metre high side tinny in port phillip

Post by purple5ive » Wed May 23, 2018 5:54 pm

4m can be done mate. As you probably have heard already pick your days and youi can fish 22m line in ppb. I have done it in my 4.2m

As for launching. A good place to try for snapper would be brighton areas and blackrock. St Kilda.
Launch at blackrock ramp or st Kilda ramp.
Many more areas down that way but I'll let the people who fish down that way elaborate more.

Jodowright2

Re: Fishing for snapper and flathead from a small 4 metre high side tinny in port phillip

Post by Jodowright2 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks heaps! ill go for a drive and have a look.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 23, 2018 6:19 pm

I have my boat at st kilda. I launch from inside the marina but the public ramp is also very good :thumbsup:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed May 23, 2018 6:42 pm

You'd probably want to launch not far from where you're fishing in case the wind kicks up. At the start of the season (Sept/Oct) you'd probably want to launch from Williamstown and try around near the Williamstown footy ground (dawn and dusk)....as the season progresses, move more and more to the southern end of the bay (depends what the winds are doing whether you launch from the east or west side)
*Heaps of info on the site once you start searching

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:50 pm

Its possible just have to puck your days with weather.
Do you have a sounder

skouta

Post by skouta » Wed May 23, 2018 7:14 pm

Is it an open tinny or a runabout.

I would be suggesting either way that you only go out in under 10 knots as 4m might not be happy with anything above 10 knots...
"I only caught one - the rest surrendered"

Jodowright2

Post by Jodowright2 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Yeah i have a sounder, gps and salt water motorguide. Its an open tinny stessco angler pro. ill look into the winds and where to launch. Do you anchor and burley or mostly drift? do you get many gummy shark? thanks heaps boys

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed May 23, 2018 8:19 pm

Jodowright2 wrote:Yeah i have a sounder, gps and salt water motorguide. Its an open tinny stessco angler pro. ill look into the winds and where to launch. Do you anchor and burley or mostly drift? do you get many gummy shark? thanks heaps boys
sounds like a lure fishing rig, i have similar 4.2m poly boat that is setup for lures .
anyway, wpb is gummy shark mecca but you will struggle to hold anchor there as it runs really hard.
for the gummies anchor and burley, for snapper you can drift or anchor and burley.
4m on a **** day is asking for trouble if you have never fished the bay before, if you were down mornington way i could have show you around locally a bit. i fish the area in my 4.2 quite a bit.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Jodowright2 wrote:Yeah i have a sounder, gps and salt water motorguide. Its an open tinny stessco angler pro. ill look into the winds and where to launch. Do you anchor and burley or mostly drift? do you get many gummy shark? thanks heaps boys
Drifting for flatties is another great option. I usually always get a good feed :thumbsup:

Return to “Snapper Fishing”