PB Reds, cracker day.

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

PB Reds, cracker day.

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:32 pm

What a day on the water again with my mate Josh on board. It seems whenever we both combine our intelligence together we pull up some great fish.

This day started at 7am, leaving Yaringa to catch some bait. We had our struggles at my new found bait grounds, dropping a couple and NO yakkas around either. Persisted and managed a couple nice little sambos which lifted the mood. Last 90 minutes of tide flow, i made the decision that it was time to get some Squid on Tyabb. First drift, bang. Second drift, bang. and repeat. Before we knew it, we had 5 fresh squid and a couple of sambos ready to go. With the tide coming to an end, we used the time period of slack water to sound around and find a new likely haunt for a RED.

First up, Eagle Rock. Found a cracking area, but wanted to keep looking. Next.. Crawfish rock. Absolutely packed, got out of there right away. I said, "We either go anchor on what we found at Eagle, or we sound long reef." We called it and went on down to Long reef. Found a ripper area and we dropped the anchor. Boat was still swinging with the tide, so we dropped a couple bait rods down, and good old mate josh wipped out hes placcy rod and started giving it a go. Right from the outset i knew we'd get onto them. Josh was nailing couta one after the other on hes plastics, exactly what we needed, more fresh bait! Meanwhile, i was doing the same on bait... but a little surprise too... some THUMPING KGW at 44 & 46cm a piece with the biggest weighing 700g. Not bad... on a pillie fillet and squid cocktail. As the water started moving in, the bite came to a hault like it generally will.

Right away my rod buckles... Eagle Ray.. ahhh :oops: . The plan was to stay put, with so much activity so early it would be completely stupid to leave.

Not all things went to plan. 2 hours into the flood, i had a rod buckle and a few runs, hooked up to another Red at last. Kicking myself i didn't change over sinker sizes, at this point the tide had really started humming as it always does mid way into the tide. We had a tangle.. and a bad one at that. You guys won't believe this, but let me explain. I had hooked up to the fish on the rig running two suicide hooks. My other rod it was tangled with had a 7/0 circle, and the circle hook actually got caught around the suicides..., i quickly flicked the bail arm over the other rod and thought it was all good. 1 minute or so later, POP. Yup.... not happy. Fair to say i put the heavier sinkers on rather quick. 1 hour later, my rod was twizzling, and boom, screaming in the holder.. with my heart set on this Red i grabbed the rod straight away and POP, spat bait. That'll teach me not to grab a rod that quick again! At this point i was furious. Not a happy camper thats for sure. I debated to move and fish eagle rock for the last two hours of tide, but i said no, lets stick it out. And i am so glad we did. Bang, some solid runs, and head knocks, decent fight but i wasn't sure how big, i didn't think it was too big and then we saw it in the water... WOW "GET THE NET NOW", what a moment, don't think i've screamed so loud with so many different emotions going through at the same time.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-7EYSwb0rRLlb.jpg

Wait.. it gets better. We were now into slack water, i put the berley pot down and all of a sudden we had a huge school of yakkas down there, reeling them in one after the other. And after last time i was out... i was definitely keeping a rod in at SLACK water. Again, im so glad i did. And this one went so FKN hard.... I literally thought it was gonna be a monster. Massive runs, and dogged it out for so long under the boat, but turned out to be a little bit smaller than the first! Can never pick with these fish.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-XoQSsLB7H2Pm8N.jpg

Cheers guys, im heading out tomorrow, hopefully another report coming. :water:

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: PB Reds, cracker day.

Post by fishnut » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Fantastic

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Flipping fantastic..
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Hell yeah mate. Those are some cracking fish! Well done.
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:12 pm

So they do exist! Well done mate. Hopefully that 10kg model comes around soon!

Cheers, Anth

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Well done. Cracking fish thanks for the report and good luck tommorow

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:56 pm

fishnut wrote:Fantastic
thanks mate

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:57 pm

bowl wrote:Flipping fantastic..
Was very happy after 3 donut trips prior. Water temp is 16.7, fish are going hard

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:57 pm

LINwAd wrote:Hell yeah mate. Those are some cracking fish! Well done.
Sure are, thanks mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:58 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:So they do exist! Well done mate. Hopefully that 10kg model comes around soon!

Cheers, Anth
HAHA, i was questioning it last trip. Man it was a shocker. Always worth it in the end.

Yes if i could just get a 7kg or more i'll be stoked. 20LB..... EVEN BETTER :notworthy:

Return to “Snapper Fishing”