Learning how to catch Snapper

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Bugatti

Learning how to catch Snapper

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:20 am

Our next generation of fishos, any fisho of any fish, are coming through the ranks.

This is my Son, some years back. At that age he could out fish some (if not a fair few) of my fishing mates (as my Daughter could). As long as the next generation (as long as that young person isn't a noob, and that goes for "older beginners" too) most fishos don't mind helping out with some advice and information on where about, rigs, bait, times, tides etc. Now, you newbies, that is SOME help and information. Not holding your hand and giving you secret spots and GPS co-ords. We all started off the same, so we don't mind helping but you newies have to do some of your own ground work too.

Anyway, back to the Young Lad. Being from South Australia, we launched at West Beach and headed to the Broadway grounds. This isn't his first fish or his first trip out, but he is a quick learner after a few trips (which included catching Zotties (Donut trips) which is part of the learning curve) he holds his head up proud as a fisho. This spot I have called it after my Son as he "found" it or should I say he said "here Dad", as we were just sounding about and I let him pick the spot but he had to look at the sounder for structure or fish or better still, both. He picked a spot that had both. A note to point out, , , , I put the berley out first, he puts the baits on the bait boards and then he and I bait and cast & set the rods, then we clear the deck of everything. His rod went off before we could clear the deck (white square bucket in the last photo). He was stoked that he picked a good spot and it was "his spot" he found it, no one gave it to him. We (my Sister, who by the way, has caught the biggest Snapper of anyone whom I know, with a Snapper @ just a smidgen under 14 kgs) was on the boat as well fishing) bagged out , , , , which in South Australia, for three fishing on a boat (which is the max allowable catch), that's 15 ruggers (5 each @ 38-60) and 6 overs (2 each @ 60+). Biggest was 89 I think. I don't normally go for my bag, I normally catch what I think at the time BUT my Son wanted to give fish to people who don't get to fish, old neighbours, relatives, his mates etc.

A note to point out. That was a productive trip but you don't see the two donut trips and a lone fish trip that preceded that one. Yes we all have bad trips.

So , , , , go out and have your bad trips to find and have your good trips , , , , that's how it's done and learnt.

Here is that fish in photo form

He has a good action, knows to lift and wind down.
f1.JPG

A bit of a reminder from Dad to bring the fish to the side of the boat and not to the back.
f2.JPG

Doing fine all on his own.
f3.JPG

Hey you cheeky Snapper, stop going to the back of the boat.
f4.JPG

That's better, come this way.
f5a.jpg

Yep, now he's coming.
f6.JPG

Dad, he's getting close, getthenet
f7.JPG

Kids got power.
f9.JPG

Here we go.
f91.JPG

Woohoo
f92.JPG

Cheers, Bugatti

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Learning how to catch Snapper

Post by fishnut » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:19 am

Good post i enjoyed reading it

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:33 am

Another good read, thanks for sharing.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:12 am

Sounds like an awesome trip out!
Enjoyed the read once again. Nice pics.
Cheers :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Good read
Sounds like he loves it

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:39 pm

I like the way you write car man, good stuff, always something to think about.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:37 pm

I've fished some land based SA places with my late Father when I was a kid and he took me there on holidays, can't recall anywhere except Robe, that was awesome. Great hugely underrated place to fish SA, we had a ball.
But anyway, just have to say, you SA guys and all the fish you have and can catch....make me sick :-D ........ . kidding.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:46 am

fishnut wrote:Good post i enjoyed reading it
Seb85 wrote:Another good read, thanks for sharing.
Lightningx wrote:Sounds like an awesome trip out!
Enjoyed the read once again. Nice pics.
Cheers :thumbsup:
smile0784 wrote:Good read
Sounds like he loves it
Thanks guys, and yes the little guy was stoked. Got a bit cocky with running commentary, we were in stitches

Blue wrote:I like the way you write car man, good stuff, always something to think about.
Blue
Well, Blue, thanks. I have a topic/post in the pipe works that you my like. Hoping to get it posted in a day or two. And I agree nice to exercise the grey matter and occasionally the funny bone.

Bit of a warning though , , , , I come from Greek Heritage, which founded philosophy. But there is a fine line between philosophy and Bull Dust , , , , but I shall endeavour to make it really good sounding Bull Dust :thumbsup:
Brownie wrote:I've fished some land based SA places with my late Father when I was a kid and he took me there on holidays, can't recall anywhere except Robe, that was awesome. Great hugely underrated place to fish SA, we had a ball.
But anyway, just have to say, you SA guys and all the fish you have and can catch....make me sick :-D ........ . kidding.
Funnily enough Brownie, I think the opposite when it comes to rec Fishing SA verses Vic. I think both states have different "good" points but overall Victoria edges SA out.

We should start a topic "Fishing South Australia verses Victoria" (notice how I put the better state first :-D )

Cheers, Bugatti

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 am

Good read!!!!!
Bugatti wrote:................................................................................................................

We should start a topic "Fishing South Australia verses Victoria" (notice how I put the better state first :-D )

Cheers, Bugatti
Unless I am mistaken, you don't need a fishing license in SA do you? I think this is to the detriment of fishing, unless the SA govt throws enough money at fisheries. As far as I know, cod fishing in SA, at least in the Murray is woeful. I dare say there are great freshwater opportunities elsewhere in your state? Would have a guess that SA saltwater fishing is excellent vs its freshwater fishing which is average. Correct me if I am wrong as I am asking the last question, rather than stating it as a fact.
Cheers
Jim

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:18 am

April Fool wrote:Good read!!!!!
Bugatti wrote:................................................................................................................

Cheers, Bugatti
Unless I am mistaken, you don't need a fishing license in SA do you? I think this is to the detriment of fishing, unless the SA govt throws enough money at fisheries. As far as I know, cod fishing in SA, at least in the Murray is woeful. I dare say there are great freshwater opportunities elsewhere in your state? Would have a guess that SA saltwater fishing is excellent vs its freshwater fishing which is average. Correct me if I am wrong as I am asking the last question, rather than stating it as a fact.
Cheers
Jim
G'day Jim, and thanks

You are right about the License, we don't need one here to fish (which is still a bantered option, but getting flack from fishos as we are getting reemed big time in other was, which is shelving it for the time being. They know they have pushed the recreational fishing environment far enough (even too far). We do pay a levee on our boat rego for Boat Ramps , , , , which by what I can tell and by the what seems to be reputable banter, that it is doing just barely ok but miss managed at the very least or suspiciously , , , , , , at the worst , , , , , complex point and volitile so, I shall leave that at that

But, you are right in some ways Jim, about the fishing, but with an overall perspective on the full range of fishos (from novices taking their kids once a year, through to Blue Water enthusiast) Victorians are overall better off.

I do understand we can have a bias due to "the grass is greener" in someone else's yard but things are quite dismal here , , , , overall.

Definitely need a topic starter "Fishing - SA verses Vic" , , , , bit busy today, but might later

Cheers, Bill

Return to “Snapper Fishing”