Real Snapper Fishing SA - well, for me that is.

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Bugatti

Real Snapper Fishing SA - well, for me that is.

Post by Bugatti » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:52 pm

I was talking with someone, who is no fool, about fishing in general and about "real" fishing.

This photo, on it's own, may look impressive BUT it doesn't tell the real story.
Bill 5aa.PNG
Bill 5aa.PNG (260.17 KiB) Viewed 2663 times

I am an average fisho, no real speciality. I have consistently shown that I can equally not catch every specie of fish and occasionally get lucky. This is a story about my "real" experience with snapper fishing.

We, as an extended mixed group, have been going to Black Point on Yorke Peninsula, South Australia (as I live in Adelaide) for over thirty years. It was a holiday for us Guys & Girls, then as Men & Women and now as Mothers & Fathers with our kids.
Bill 5.PNG
Bill 5.PNG (227.97 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
FB_IMG_1499891825969.jpg
FB_IMG_1499891825969.jpg (25.91 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
FB_IMG_1499891733112.jpg
FB_IMG_1499891733112.jpg (13.53 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
IMG_20170713_172405 - Copy.jpg

Fishing was part of that holiday but not "the" holiday. We slowly (and I emphasis the slowly) built up our knowledge about the fishing in the area, mainly Squid, Gar and Crabs. Those "lessons" were from the dozens and dozens of trips resulting in donuts or a pitiful catch.

The same was with Snapper. We would get some info, or find out something, or work out a plan of attack to hit the Reds. And fail again and again. BUT we would learn what to do for next time and what not to do, for the next trip.

Donut trip
image4.JPG

After donut trip
image7.JPG

After donut trip
image4.JPG

After donut trip
image7.JPG

As it worked out, some many years of trying, we finally caught some Snapper at Black Point. You see, we have caught some (yes, only some), in Adelaide and a few other places BUT what may work at one place sometimes doesn't in another.

AND then finally, woohoo.
Bill 5aa.PNG
Bill 5aa.PNG (260.17 KiB) Viewed 2663 times

Most people see a bloke holding two Snapper. I see the countless trips, the inordinate amount of of effort it took to get just those two fish.

I now can catch some Snapper, only some. I'm no Great Snapper Fisho, but occasionally one or two Snapper decide to commit suicide, and I just happen to be there as they choose my hooks to do it on. As far as my Snapper fishing ability, nothing to brag about but equally, enough to put a smile on my face and to have stories to tell and bore the other old blokes in the Nursing Home when I get that old. I now know a little about Snapper, fishing wise, barely, from years of poor performances and some even sole destroying. It may not be what the "experts" do, but I know enough to have a decent attempt and know that donuts are still a regular result but I know it wasn't me, it was just that they just weren't there or not biting or maybe, it was me , , , , we are always learning.

Cheers, Bugatti

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Real Snapper Fishing SA - well, for me that is.

Post by fishnut » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:29 pm

At last i thought i was the only expert at not catching snapper regularly :rofl:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:13 pm

fishnut wrote:At last i thought i was the only expert at not catching snapper regularly :rofl:
You know fishnut, it feels that way sometimes, and you start second guessing yourself , , , , even with the stuff you know works.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 58 times

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:15 pm

Bugatti one of the downsides to getting divorced was losing the right to use my ex-wife's family shack at Black Point - we spent about 20 Christmas's in a row there. I worked out how, when and where to catch both King George and Sand Whiting and even a few decent Flathead from time to time - and of course Tommies, Gars, Crabs, Scallops and a squid or two etc and there were usually a few Snook to be had out near the pole. The fisherman next door though managed a decent snapper or two but my rare forays out wider always ended in complete failure so well done for persisting. Black Point (or millionaires row these days) is a very special place.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:18 am

Paulanderson wrote:Bugatti one of the downsides to getting divorced was losing the right to use my ex-wife's family shack at Black Point - we spent about 20 Christmas's in a row there. I worked out how, when and where to catch both King George and Sand Whiting and even a few decent Flathead from time to time - and of course Tommies, Gars, Crabs, Scallops and a squid or two etc and there were usually a few Snook to be had out near the pole. The fisherman next door though managed a decent snapper or two but my rare forays out wider always ended in complete failure so well done for persisting. Black Point (or millionaires row these days) is a very special place.

Sorry to hear Paul, on many levels,

But, yeah, you described Black Point perfectly. I prefer the Old Shacks, they have that cosy feel. I remember back when that road was a dirt road.

When you get the "hang" of the place, the fishing just neatly fits within the family holiday schedule . Only sad thing with the Reds, is the best times to have a good crack, it conflicts with breakfast/dinner times , , , , can't miss out on pancakes or BBQ dinners.

Squid and yellow fin off the beach. And the gun bait "clickers" just right there on the beach too.

Yes, a very special place.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:59 am

Good on you Bugatti.
It takes time and persistence to learn fundamentals work out what will be successful where and when.
That’s the reward in improving as a fisherman that’s why we do it for the great days.
Keep it up champion

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:02 am

That is very true. We often share only the "goods" and that's what people see.
I wonder how many people here often hear from their friends something like "wow, you always catch fish, I see your posts in facebook, I should come with you" and in the head is like "yeah, because when I dont catch, I dont tell/share"
Like a performance in a theatre, the audience see the show but not the hard work behind the curtain.

Thanks Bugatti, good to know that I'm not the only one. And well done on cracking the codes.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:05 am

You can do everything Right and still not catch snapper.
This time everything lined up and you scored 2 Beauties

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:56 am

Enjoyed the read mate!
I know the feeling about the donut trips but sometimes it all pays off!
A couple of very nice ones there.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:12 am

What's with the 2nd photo?...dishwashers are for hard rubbish collection, not recycling

Return to “Snapper Fishing”