Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Early Season Snapper 2019

Post by Mattblack » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:25 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:47 am
An 8kg caught Lang Lang couple weeks ago

Will be plenty around the good port (WP)
Any updates as to when Corinella ramp will be ready for use?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am
Lightningx wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:53 am
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:44 am
Lightningx wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:04 am
I’ve been out 3 times so far with no luck yet Matt.
Yesterday got a few pinkies though.
Have you been out yet?
Might be going again tonight.
Cheers :thumbsup:
you got some pinkie that better then noting. :thumbsup: Snapper might come late September I think, it possible. You should try mount martia and frankston that where snapper mostly are the locals snapper while other snapper trying to get in to Port Phillp bay and western port for breed season. They are many possibility of snapper, are coming soon but we can't nail this accurate. The only thing would help is we would know this by word of mouth, report or someone is catching a Lb near CBD. that when snapper are ready in. Or mega Burley.
Thank you brother! :thumbsup:
I do usually give those places a crack :)
So you’re next trip out is on the 13th?
Yeah, I going get some Burley. this is have to work or may not be a snapper but there have to be something come see this burley tail that we make. Any thing would smell those 1 a way kilo. Hopefully someone show up 13, to help me for mega Burley adding they old bait and meat sausage block burley with tuna oil and my pallet. This would attract local snapper hopefully The plan will works
Bloody hell man how much burley were you thinking of using? :o_0: hopefully it’s a run in tide with all that burley.

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:42 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am
Lightningx wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:53 am
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:44 am
Lightningx wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:04 am
I’ve been out 3 times so far with no luck yet Matt.
Yesterday got a few pinkies though.
Have you been out yet?
Might be going again tonight.
Cheers :thumbsup:
you got some pinkie that better then noting. :thumbsup: Snapper might come late September I think, it possible. You should try mount martia and frankston that where snapper mostly are the locals snapper while other snapper trying to get in to Port Phillp bay and western port for breed season. They are many possibility of snapper, are coming soon but we can't nail this accurate. The only thing would help is we would know this by word of mouth, report or someone is catching a Lb near CBD. that when snapper are ready in. Or mega Burley.
Thank you brother! :thumbsup:
I do usually give those places a crack :)
So you’re next trip out is on the 13th?
Yeah, I going get some Burley. this is have to work or may not be a snapper but there have to be something come see this burley tail that we make. Any thing would smell those 1 a way kilo. Hopefully someone show up 13, to help me for mega Burley adding they old bait and meat sausage block burley with tuna oil and my pallet. This would attract local snapper hopefully The plan will works
Bloody hell man how much burley were you thinking of using? :o_0: hopefully it’s a run in tide with all that burley.
enough for snapper

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:25 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:47 am
An 8kg caught Lang Lang couple weeks ago

Will be plenty around the good port (WP)
Any updates as to when Corinella ramp will be ready for use?
No idea, but someone I was speaking to the other day uses the barge ramp? Never even thought about that myself.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:16 pm

I'm curious to know if anyone uses circle hooks on a snell setup for snapper??

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:40 pm

Robbie1950 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:16 pm

I have tried Robbie. There's a spot that I go to that the Snaps are min 50+ cm. We were trying to minimise gut/gill hooked snaps that we returned once our bigs were gotten.

First go was with two circles but found only ever hooked up with the leading hook and unfortunately got less hook ups.

Then a mate and I discussed it and came up with the trailing hook as a suicide. Hook ups increase with the trailing hook getting some but again some were gut/gill hooked.

So now we have reverted to only using a single circle, even on big baits when the Snaps are on but two snelled suicides if the fishing is slow. Nothing beats the euphoria of landing a Stonka once you realise the Snapper was cheek hooked.

Give it a go, if the fish are there , , , , but even a single circle with a modest bait would catch a 10kg. I think most of my Big snaps have been on a single hook with a small to modest bait, so the whole pillie idea isn't always going to give you the big boys.

Cheers, Bugs

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:44 pm

Looks like it’s gonna be another night of donuts for me :rofl:
Just sat through some rain and chop but it’s nice now much calmer but will prob pull the pin soon!

Reddogfishing
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Reddogfishing » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Robbie1950 wrote:
I use sport circles (vmc or owner mitzu) on the trailing hook, and a black magic c point suicide hook as the leading hook, I like these style circles as the eye is straight and not offset allowing it to pull straighter. You just need to get used to striking the fish a little lighter, if you are used to striking hard like the old mono days of the rod touching rocket launchers, then the circles can be a bit tricky. But when the fish are on they can help as the fish can hook themselves in essence.

This is super important as a dropped snapper can spook the whole school and the day is over, until the berly works to bring them back.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:32 pm

Reddogfishing wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:06 pm
Robbie1950 wrote:
I use sport circles (vmc or owner mitzu) on the trailing hook, and a black magic c point suicide hook as the leading hook, I like these style circles as the eye is straight and not offset allowing it to pull straighter. You just need to get used to striking the fish a little lighter, if you are used to striking hard like the old mono days of the rod touching rocket launchers, then the circles can be a bit tricky. But when the fish are on they can help as the fish can hook themselves in essence.

This is super important as a dropped snapper can spook the whole school and the day is over, until the berly works to bring them back.
Spook the school..
My dad back in the day always said, ya cant throw back kgw cause it spook the school n kgw will leave.
Utter b.s imo

October laster snapper season we dropped the first snapper and not long after we boated 2 80cm plus snapper.

Oh I fish with bananas....
Quite interesting fishos different take on what fish do.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:48 pm

I've been harassed all day by a FV member who landed a 90cm beast in WPB today....I'm rather keen to get out there and have a crack now

Return to “Snapper Fishing”