Re: Snapper reel recommendations

Post by Lightningx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:05 am

Schwartzy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:44 pm
Mattblack wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 am
Schwartzy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 pm
Thanks everyone for valuable feedback. Some additional information might be helpful. Whilst I do not have a budget, I am looking for good value. I think $150 is reasonable. I am shocked at what some people are prepared to pay for a quality reel, but I do wonder how much is R&D and quality and how much is marketing and hype. The reels will be paired with a couple of 4-8 kg UglyStiks, I purchased on sale from Anaconda. They were almost giving them away. I do not think a larger or heavier reel will be out of place. I also have a couple of Veritas 4-8 kg rods, also purchased on sale, and it would be a shame not to pair them with a light weight reel.

I last fished PPB with my dad over 30 years ago. So it has been a while between fishing trips! I still have my reel from the day, a Diawa 7000x. Diawa and made in Japan stood for quality back then and I am tempted to buy Daiwa for the nostalgia value.
Mate, you sound like me a couple of years ago....what sort of boat did you get and how old is your little deckie? (might take some digging, but this forum will have all the answers your looking for over the next few years)
We have an Evolution 550 Platimum and are very happy with it. My son is 11 and the photo below is his very first catch. The smile on his face was worth every penny that we spent on the boat and gear.

Everyone has been very helpful and unfortunately it will only encourage me to ask more questions.

IMG_1799.JPG
Nice rig mate!
Hope you have plenty more nice trips in it with your son :)
Cheers :thumbsup:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:23 am

Schwartzy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:44 pm
Mattblack wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 am
Schwartzy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 pm
Thanks everyone for valuable feedback. Some additional information might be helpful. Whilst I do not have a budget, I am looking for good value. I think $150 is reasonable. I am shocked at what some people are prepared to pay for a quality reel, but I do wonder how much is R&D and quality and how much is marketing and hype. The reels will be paired with a couple of 4-8 kg UglyStiks, I purchased on sale from Anaconda. They were almost giving them away. I do not think a larger or heavier reel will be out of place. I also have a couple of Veritas 4-8 kg rods, also purchased on sale, and it would be a shame not to pair them with a light weight reel.

I last fished PPB with my dad over 30 years ago. So it has been a while between fishing trips! I still have my reel from the day, a Diawa 7000x. Diawa and made in Japan stood for quality back then and I am tempted to buy Daiwa for the nostalgia value.
Mate, you sound like me a couple of years ago....what sort of boat did you get and how old is your little deckie? (might take some digging, but this forum will have all the answers your looking for over the next few years)
We have an Evolution 550 Platimum and are very happy with it. My son is 11 and the photo below is his very first catch. The smile on his face was worth every penny that we spent on the boat and gear.

Everyone has been very helpful and unfortunately it will only encourage me to ask more questions.

IMG_1799.JPG
I take that back...your boats better, your sons older & you're catching fish...carry on
*Compleat Angler in Bentleigh has the cheapest Baitrunners in Melb

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Think I'll go for a look

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:16 pm

I could do with a couple more reels for snapper season so might go check it out as well :)

Schwartzy

Post by Schwartzy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:16 pm
I could do with a couple more reels for snapper season so might go check it out as well :)
Here I was thinking the forum was full of gentleman. By the time I get to complete angler on the weekend, you so called gentleman will have cleared the shelves of their baitrunners :tongue:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:33 pm

Schwartzy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:11 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Here I was thinking the forum was full of gentleman. By the time I get to complete angler on the weekend, you so called gentleman will have cleared the shelves of their baitrunners :tongue:
Really compleat angler cheap...I'd be ringing southern sport fishing to check their prices..prob give ya discount if ya buy a few...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:46 pm

bowl wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:33 pm
Schwartzy wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Really compleat angler cheap...I'd be ringing southern sport fishing to check their prices..prob give ya discount if ya buy a few...
Couldnt help myself...just picked up 2 x 6000OC Baitrunners for $119 each from Compleat Angler (apparently the price will go up once they re-stock)
Bring on snapper season!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Not bad mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:46 pm
bowl wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:33 pm
Schwartzy wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Couldnt help myself...just picked up 2 x 6000OC Baitrunners for $119 each from Compleat Angler (apparently the price will go up once they re-stock)
Bring on snapper season!
Wooooohooooo nice mate! I’m itchying to go out for my first session!!!

Return to “Snapper Fishing”