3 year ban in SA

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

3 year ban in SA

Post by bowl » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:45 am

"Snapper fishing to be banned in SA waters for more than three years, SA Government says

The South Australian Government is forging ahead with its plan to ban snapper fishing in the state's coastal waters, despite heated opposition from fishers and charter boat operators.

Key points:The proposed three-year ban immediately caused controversy when it was revealed last month
The Government says it is necessary because "drastic" declines in stocks have led to a "dire" situation
It says a multi-million-dollar support package will be made available to help businesses stay afloat

The Government has committed to introducing what it described as a "statewide" ban from November 1 because of drastic declines in snapper stocks in gulf waters.

The ban is set to continue until February 2023 and will target Gulf St Vincent and Spencer Gulf as well as the state's west coast.

Snapper fishing will continue off the south-east coast under strict controls, with the Government promising a "multi-million-dollar support package" to help those affected.

The proposed ban was revealed in August and immediately prompted controversy, with charter boat operators telling the ABC it would be "devastating" and "catastrophic" for their businesses.

Primary Industries Minister Tim Whetstone acknowledged it would have huge impacts, but said the ban was based on the best available science.

"The snapper stocks are in a dire, decimated situation," he said.

"Gulf St Vincent has seen an 87 per cent reduction in the biomass of snapper, we've seen a 23 per cent reduction in Spencer Gulf.

"We've also seen a depleted stock in the west coast waters. That's why we've had to take this drastic action to manage snapper stocks in our waters so that we do have snapper for the future."

Mr Whetstone said the decision followed broad community consultation, and that the Government had received more than 900 submissions before making its final decision.

"We've consulted widely with all sectors — the commercial sector, the recreational sector, charter boat operators and the processors. This decision has not been taken lightly," he said.

"We will have to look at ways we can support those sectors, support the fishermen, the tourist sector.

"We understand the magnitude of impact it will have on our fishing communities, and so we will work with them to support them."

'They're taking our livelihoods away'

Snapper fishing is a major drawcard for coastal communities on Eyre and Yorke peninsulas, and is regarded as a significant contributor to regional economies.

Charter tour operator Ray Cook has operated in Gulf St Vincent out of Wallaroo for 17 years, but last month told the ABC he would have to shut down if the ban was brought into effect.

"As far as our business goes, it will cease probably as soon as the ban comes in," he said in August.

"I'll sell the boat, I suppose. That'll be the first thing. And then seek compensation. They're taking our livelihoods away.

"It's devastating. Over the past 10 years they've been talking about snapper depleting but they haven't really fixed the problem."

However, the State Government said it would attempt to offset some of the impacts through a support package.

Measures include slashing commercial fishing licence fees, investing more than $1 million in snapper science and $500,000 on restocking, as well as a diversification package aimed at charter boat operators.

"The charter sector will have access to a $500,000 program to revitalise their businesses to make the state's charter boat fleet more attractive for local, interstate and international tourists," Mr Whetstone said.

The State Government said it would also launch a new program under the banner "Stay Afloat" which would support the "mental health and wellbeing of affected commercial fishers, charter operators and seafood processors".

Mr Whetstone also encouraged fishers to consider targeting other species, but that idea has previously been criticised by Steve Storic, who runs a fishing charter business in Australia's so-called "snapper capital" of Whyalla.

"I've basically structured my business to target snapper, so for me to go out and structure to target other species — obviously there's more cost and outlay involved in that," Mr Storic said in August."
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: 3 year ban in SA

Post by CarlG » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:50 am

Be interesting to know the root cause of the depletion, whether it be recreational fishing, commercial fishing, changing water temps, whatever. I can see why a lot of people will be very, very angry, but what is better, 3 years of pain, or complete anhialation of the SA stock.?

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:53 am

I got a feeling this will happen in Victoria a 3-5 years ban on snapper fishing, soon

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:06 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:53 am
I got a feeling this will happen in Victoria a 3-5 years ban on snapper fishing, soon
A good start would be reducing the current limit of 10 to 5, and absolutely slamming people who take undersize/over bag. An increase in size limit would be no bad thing either.

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:08 pm

CarlG wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:06 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
A good start would be reducing the current limit of 10 to 5, and absolutely slamming people who take undersize/over bag. An increase in size limit would be no bad thing either.
What if they ban right now, and everyone just have high snapper fever. You don't to snapper for 5 years.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:51 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Our stocks appear to be fine, increasing the minimum size to a point that all fish that can legally be kept have had a chance to breed at least once would be one thing we could do now that may increase stocks further.

If things got drastic it'd be better to try banning fishing from important breeding areas first to avoid people cutting a swathe through large aggregations of fish.

Banning fishing for them altogether is a last resort, I'm not sure what the situation is in SA but you'd have to think things are pretty dire for a politician to be willing to **** that many people off.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:54 pm

4liters wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:51 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Our stocks appear to be fine, increasing the minimum size to a point that all fish that can legally be kept have had a chance to breed at least once would be one thing we could do now that may increase stocks further.

If things got drastic it'd be better to try banning fishing from important breeding areas first to avoid people cutting a swathe through large aggregations of fish.

Banning fishing for them altogether is a last resort, I'm not sure what the situation is in SA but you'd have to think things are pretty dire for a politician to be willing to **** that many people off.
I think their are after some vote from PETA and the vegan. I understand if the situation is serious it then show be ban. Did Victoria gov ban snapper fishing in the past?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:56 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:54 pm
4liters wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:51 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:

I think their are after some vote from PETA and the vegan. I understand if the situation is serious it then show be ban. Did Victoria gov ban snapper fishing in the past?
It's got nothing to do with PETA. There's no votes to be had pandering to them, if anything it's the other way around with the recent farm invasion legislation.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:00 pm

Well when they finish with farm and hunter who their going to come after next?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:26 pm

Definitely increasing the minimum size limit is a great idea :tu:
When I catch a 28cm it always looks so small...

Return to “Snapper Fishing”