Redhunter wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:01 pm
croe04 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:47 pm
Redhunter wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:43 pm
croe04 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:39 pm
Having not much experience with sounders how can you guys tell what arches are/judge how large fish are from them? I'm trying to learn as I'll be using one on my yak soon and want to get the most out of it.
Arches = fish. The blob indicates a dense school of "something". More likely bait.
The depth scale on the right hand side of the sounder screen gives you an indication of size :tu:
So based on what I can see, the blob a school of bait and to the right there are 3 or so arches next to it, so would I be right in saying that those are some fish following around some bait? And what is all the stuff in the top of the water column (blue-green clouds at the top of the screen). Also for reference, how big would you say the fish from the arches on the right are for some reference?
Sorry for the barrage of questions, i'm just really trying to get my head around this as youtube has been little help, cheers for the info.
Correct, some pan-sized fish picking off single baitfish from a school of baitfish.
Like I said, the depth scale on the right hand side of the sounder gives an indication of the size of the fish from the size of the arches. Have a closer look dude...
The stuff at the top of the screen is just interference rubbish to be ignored.
FYI- I'm just an average Joe Blow and this is how I would personally interperate this screen shot.

Red is smack bang right croe. Not an average Joe, an accurate , , , , Red :-D

One important thing, you need to get to know "your" sounder, and how yours works and shows, which comes with using it. And you are a switched on dude, so it should come easy to you.

On the interference, the more you have the sensitivity up, the more it would pick up pointless interference but also the better it would pick up fish. You'd need to find a balance that you are comfortable with.

On the bait ball, if there were arches in it and coming "half arch" out of it, then bingo, a dense school of pinkies.

On your question bowl of what it is , , , , um , , , , give me the GPS coords of the spot and I shall check it out for you :-D Nah, on a serious note. Bait (possibly pinkies) with pinkies on the side

Cheers Bugatti

Bugatti

Re: Thoughts

Post by Bugatti » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:16 pm

On another note, if it is or you do find a dense school of pinkies, there's also a good chance of 4-5 kilo units amounts them too

Happy exciting days in the bowl and croe households

Cheers, Bug

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:30 pm

The large clump in the bottom middle of the screen is a bait ball
Some predators to the right of the bait ball likely to be snapper this time of year eyeing them off and possibly picking off straying baitfish.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:01 pm
croe04 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:47 pm
Redhunter wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:43 pm
croe04 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:39 pm
Having not much experience with sounders how can you guys tell what arches are/judge how large fish are from them? I'm trying to learn as I'll be using one on my yak soon and want to get the most out of it.
Arches = fish. The blob indicates a dense school of "something". More likely bait.
The depth scale on the right hand side of the sounder screen gives you an indication of size :tu:
So based on what I can see, the blob a school of bait and to the right there are 3 or so arches next to it, so would I be right in saying that those are some fish following around some bait? And what is all the stuff in the top of the water column (blue-green clouds at the top of the screen). Also for reference, how big would you say the fish from the arches on the right are for some reference?
Sorry for the barrage of questions, i'm just really trying to get my head around this as youtube has been little help, cheers for the info.
Correct, some pan-sized fish picking off single baitfish from a school of baitfish.
Like I said, the depth scale on the right hand side of the sounder gives an indication of the size of the fish from the size of the arches. Have a closer look dude...
The stuff at the top of the screen is just interference rubbish to be ignored.
FYI- I'm just an average Joe Blow and this is how I would personally interperate this screen shot.
That's what I'd put it down as. Fish would be no bigger than 45cm.

As an aside, I've had luck in the past just anchoring around large bait schools without even seeing a single arch

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:01 pm

Bait fish

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Yea that looks like a bait ball to me too and at this time of the year some nice size pinkies chasing it.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:10 pm

Would be interesting to hear back from Bowl whether he sat on that mark and what it produced, or whether he went searching for better fish...hopefully he doesn't have time to respond till the morning...lol.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Not only us my hypertrophy feasible, but, turns out to be correct
Go figure
Professor Gra

Return to “Snapper Fishing”