Has liked: 221 times

Re: Thoughts

Post by Texas » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:55 pm

Rain & storm from the west

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:00 pm

A school of pinkies, or pinkies picking off a school of baitfish. I'd keep sounding to find better sized fish.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:28 pm

There’s that much whitebait in the bay atm. Be a bait ball.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Seals.........

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Yellow mark is in the way

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Having not much experience with sounders how can you guys tell what arches are/judge how large fish are from them? I'm trying to learn as I'll be using one on my yak soon and want to get the most out of it. (hijacking the post a bit too, sorry guys)

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:43 pm

croe04 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:39 pm
Having not much experience with sounders how can you guys tell what arches are/judge how large fish are from them? I'm trying to learn as I'll be using one on my yak soon and want to get the most out of it.
Arches = fish. The blob indicates a dense school of "something". More likely bait.
The depth scale on the right hand side of the sounder screen gives you an indication of size :tu:

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:43 pm
croe04 wrote:
Having not much experience with sounders how can you guys tell what arches are/judge how large fish are from them? I'm trying to learn as I'll be using one on my yak soon and want to get the most out of it.
Arches = fish. The blob indicates a dense school of "something". More likely bait.
The depth scale on the right hand side of the sounder screen gives you an indication of size :tu:
So based on what I can see, the blob a school of bait and to the right there are 3 or so arches next to it, so would I be right in saying that those are some fish following around some bait? And what is all the stuff in the top of the water column (blue-green clouds at the top of the screen). Also for reference, how big would you say the fish from the arches on the right are for some reference?
Sorry for the barrage of questions, i'm just really trying to get my head around this as youtube has been little help, cheers for the info.

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:01 pm

croe04 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:47 pm
Redhunter wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:43 pm
croe04 wrote:
So based on what I can see, the blob a school of bait and to the right there are 3 or so arches next to it, so would I be right in saying that those are some fish following around some bait? And what is all the stuff in the top of the water column (blue-green clouds at the top of the screen). Also for reference, how big would you say the fish from the arches on the right are for some reference?
Sorry for the barrage of questions, i'm just really trying to get my head around this as youtube has been little help, cheers for the info.
Correct, some pan-sized fish picking off single baitfish from a school of baitfish.
Like I said, the depth scale on the right hand side of the sounder gives an indication of the size of the fish from the size of the arches. Have a closer look dude...
The stuff at the top of the screen is just interference rubbish to be ignored.
FYI- I'm just an average Joe Blow and this is how I would personally interperate this screen shot.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”