Whoop Whoop - Finally got that LB Big Red!!!

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Lost Pom

Whoop Whoop - Finally got that LB Big Red!!!

Post by Lost Pom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 am

Whoop Whoop! Haha.

Headed out Saturday night on Phillip Island. After all the rain had ruined our game of cricket, I was determined to wet a line, so headed to the Island. Initially tried fishing Flynns beach in hope of some protcection from the southerly breeze but it was proving difficult so I abandoned and headed to Cowes pier hoping it was quiet.

It was :clap: Tide was running out so I was hoping to fish the end of the pier on the left but unfortunately there was a bloke there so settled for the right. Just got rigged n about to cast n the same bloke form the left decided he was going to sit RIGHT next to me and throw his rods out :angry: Ok. I'll go over to the left then as the tide is still running so no drama.

What a legend that bloke is! 45secs - 1minute my humble pilchard was in the water. Boom!!! What a hit and run. Plenty of fight and having never battled a big red, i had a suspicion that's what it was or perhaps a gummy. About 2-3 minutes later I had a 54cm Snap Snap on deck!!! Never been so happy with another fisherman wanting to sit next to me :super:

Never had scales so havent weighed it - felt at least 3kg's though Brett assures me from the photo I sent and the similar one he caught - around 2.5kg. I'm going with 3-3.5 though as he's got some girth :D

Not sure how to upload a photo on here though?

Anyhow - was the only bit for the night - not bothered even a little bit though - went home with a HUGE smile :D

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Whoop Whoop - Finally got that LB Big Red!!!

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:59 am

Good one.

Clumpy

Post by Clumpy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:25 am

MATE!!!........ well done, and well deserved, you have put heaps of LB hours in, text me the pic. :super:
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

georged2

Post by georged2 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Well done, always great when you catch'em
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

wozzamozza

Post by wozzamozza » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:58 am

nice one,

were you casting straight out or fishing the lower section?

I went there a few weeks ago and had a few small flat head fishing on the left casting out into the channel, but also lost something decent when I was winding in the squid bait.... bit through the line.....

well done again

wozzamozza (another pom) ;)

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:42 am

Exellent catch mate :clap: , funny how one guy moves & you take his place & then land a nice Red . :thumbsup:

Lost Pom

Post by Lost Pom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Hey wozza,

I was at the end on the left casting straight out - using 4oz stars I reckon I was dragged about 10/15m left before it anchored - even 45 minutes before scheduled low tide it was still running so quickly.... You only seem to get about half an hour of slack water here? For that reason I've never really attempted to fish anything light because of the current drag - did you have trouble rigging for the flatties? Much to them?

Miker - That was exactly my thoughts! I was initially pretty p!$$ed off with him as he seemed quite comfortable trampling around my gear, checking what I was using, shining torches all around etc before finally sitting on top of me......... Karma.

Forgot to mention - shining a torch into the water on sat, the number of fish around was unbelieveable. They looked like a mackeral type fish, literally, they were everywhere. They made a fair scene and a bit of noise too when, I assume, the barracouta moved in.

Seems a very fishy spot Cowes - Just a pain to anchor a bait n avoid snags.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:52 am

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet CATCH!! very nice, id love to see the pic too!!
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Well done mate great stuff :thumbsup:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lost Pom

Post by Lost Pom » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:54 pm

Cheers Vinhii and Steve.

Think Brett might upload the pic - he seems a bit clued up on uploading photos onto here :D

Return to “Snapper Fishing”