Snapper

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Snapper

Post by Redhunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm with ya, however unfortunately it's not the "want", it's the "need", due to the undesirables.
Light gear for the reds is awesome fun, especially early in the season. However, as the water temp warms up and the eagle rays move in it comes time to move to the heavier outfits. Admittedly though, personally I tend to have the drags set lightly, and only crank them up once I feel a lack of headshakes. It's not much fun to the back pocket or the environment to get spooled and have a couple of hundred metres of line floating around out there.
If fishing SPs, trout gear all the way :)

justamug

Post by justamug » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Fair call Red Hunter but for PPB surely no need to go over 15lb, see some suggesting 50!!! Don't understand that
"How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't live there"?
- Steven Wright

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:57 pm

only reason to use 50lb is when they are firing and you don't want to have to net em. Just grab the leader and lift them overboard up to about 4kg lol. Means no extra person required on the net when you've got buckles everywhere.

justamug

Post by justamug » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Geez Ducky, we don't want to net em let alone fight em... Maybe we can teach em to take the hook out as well :) just kidding mate
- Steven Wright

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Surely not 24kg! That's definitely gotta be overkill. If the fish are firing that hard, reducing the number of rods out has got to be a much better option. Skull-dragging them from the depths isn't healthy for the poor buggers, let alone unsporting. Sorry Ducky, but 50lb mainline ain't cool. Don't you use a leader mate?

ducky

Post by ducky » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:16 pm

haha, don't get your panties in a twist fellas. I was explaining why some use 50lb mono leader. It does make sense for those who run charter businesses etc. as for not being healthy for em? neither is the baseball bat/ikijime that meets them at the surface lol. I generally use 30lb leader on 6kg mainline whilst bait fishing ppb because I honestly don't think it makes much of a change to catch rates compared to the lighter lines.

As for catching and releasing and being sporting etc, I don't believe in it. If we get our bag we chase something else or come in. Too many fish die cos some anglers catch and release dozens of fish on a hot bite which release pretty poorly as most snapper fishing is done deeper then 15m in ppb. People have good intentions catching and releasing snapper but I prefer not to do it (unless the fish are sub 45cm in which case they go back)

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:00 am

ducky wrote:haha, don't get your panties in a twist fellas. I was explaining why some use 50lb mono leader. It does make sense for those who run charter businesses etc. as for not being healthy for em? neither is the baseball bat/ikijime that meets them at the surface lol. I generally use 30lb leader on 6kg mainline whilst bait fishing ppb because I honestly don't think it makes much of a change to catch rates compared to the lighter lines.

As for catching and releasing and being sporting etc, I don't believe in it. If we get our bag we chase something else or come in. Too many fish die cos some anglers catch and release dozens of fish on a hot bite which release pretty poorly as most snapper fishing is done deeper then 15m in ppb. People have good intentions catching and releasing snapper but I prefer not to do it (unless the fish are sub 45cm in which case they go back)
That's actually a good point . I love to catch and release ... but ... if I sort of know/feel I have a big fish, I will do my best to bring up the fish not too fast , but also try not to tire it out to death fighting it forever with drag. That also depends on if I want a feed or not ! .

'Some' of these fish can be saved if landed and released properly. But, a lot of larger fish do come from the deep , and if brought up too quick they will pop their guts/get the bends from fast decompression, just like us getting the bends coming up too fast during scuba diving.

So like it or not , some fish are actually better off kept if they aren't going to survive anyway , better than them floating around dead on the surface. That's part of fishing , believing in catch and release or not .

I guess you could say , it's also my reason for liking to use semi light gear for the fish I'm targeting. Gives the fish a fighting chance of busting me off , also not too light that I have to fight it for ages with drag and tire it out, and also not to heavy on the gear that I can just scull drag it in from the deep.
Just enough to fight it , and land it (if lucky) in a decent time, and without fully tiring it out. Around a good 95% of the fish I catch and release survive and swim away happily I'de say .

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:49 am

You can always run a light drag setting when fishing heavier lines too. You don't have to skull drag a fish just because you've got a heavier line on. The drag gets to sing as much. The fish gets played out. You are just not very likely to lose a fish due to it popping you off.

Note I love playing with light outfits as well don't get me wrong.

justamug

Post by justamug » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:06 am

All good comments boys! Agree that hate to see floaters after a bad release too.
- Steven Wright

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:12 am

Hahaha....You've redeemed yourself nicely Ducky :)
You've made some very good points there indeed mate.
Personally, I appreciate reading those opinions. The fish deserves that kind of respect.
Well done :)

Return to “Snapper Fishing”