FLOUNDER WITH GULP why not in our bay ?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

FLOUNDER WITH GULP why not in our bay ?

Post by hornet » Thu May 21, 2015 12:06 am

Are these the same species as in port Phillip bay ? why don't the soft plastics guy's in Melbourne catch more flounder ? watch till the end it's no fluke they do well..

[youtube]0jPixqDPhPw[/youtube]
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: FLOUNDER WITH GULP why not in our bay ?

Post by CarlG » Thu May 21, 2015 6:05 am

That's an interesting subject Hornet, and having grown up in the uk, it is still a major surprise to me that flounder aren't a regular catch on rod and line. Back over there, they are a mainstay, along the the more popular cod, coalfish and the like..and were a common catch in the north east where I lived. I put it down to diet to be honest, I can only assume the flounder here are eating much smaller crustaceans and the like, whereas the atlantic flounder are more like flathead here, being an ambush predator that will take anything it can fit in it's mouth..

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Thu May 21, 2015 6:30 am

Yeah I grew up fishing the North west coast. The excitement of beach casting for flounder ...... Not. Think it's s major part of why I don't move out of the estuaries here - still scarredby freezing cold, flounder and turbot sessions - like pulling in an Asda bag :/

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Thu May 21, 2015 2:26 pm

The flounder I've seen in our bay are tiny compared to those on the video, that's why you go at night here with a nice bright LED prawn/shrimp lamp and a pole with spikes on the end to catch them.
You need a whole bunch here in Victoria to get a decent feed. I know blokes who go out when there's no moon or very little moon and go Flounder "Spike" fishing.
Just got to keep an eye out for Stingy's, Blue ringed Occy's and the odd sea snake (small % chance of them showing up but they can and have done).
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu May 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Do size limits apply when spear fishing? I've sometimes wondered how you get a fish to sit still for long enough to measure it before you impale it; or do spear fishermen just err on the side of caution?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu May 21, 2015 2:54 pm

4liters wrote:Do size limits apply when spear fishing? I've sometimes wondered how you get a fish to sit still for long enough to measure it before you impale it; or do spear fishermen just err on the side of caution?
I think most dont spear a fish they arent sure about, thats the rule i stick too anyhow, not that i ever have much luck spearfishing haha

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Thu May 21, 2015 3:02 pm

FishnMiss wrote:The flounder I've seen in our bay are tiny compared to those on the video, that's why you go at night here with a nice bright LED prawn/shrimp lamp and a pole with spikes on the end to catch them.
You need a whole bunch here in Victoria to get a decent feed. I know blokes who go out when there's no moon or very little moon and go Flounder "Spike" fishing.
Just got to keep an eye out for Stingy's, Blue ringed Occy's and the odd sea snake (small % chance of them showing up but they can and have done).
Hi mate, just wanted to clear this up as I see it mentioned on the forum a lot. There are no sea snakes living in Victoria. The only species with a distribution that comes close to Vic is the yellow-bellied sea snake (Pelamis platura). Because these guys are pelagic they could potentially find there way into Victorian waters as a result of following warm water currents, but as far as I am aware there have been no confirmed sightings in Vic (however there has been one in SA). So the likelihood of a sea snake finding its way into Victorian offshore waters is tiny, and the chances of one finding its way into a Bay are almost non-existent. Sorry if that sounded a little rude, just wanted to clear it up :).
Last edited by Broomstick on Thu May 21, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu May 21, 2015 3:10 pm

Broomstick wrote:
FishnMiss wrote:The flounder I've seen in our bay are tiny compared to those on the video, that's why you go at night here with a nice bright LED prawn/shrimp lamp and a pole with spikes on the end to catch them.
Hi mate, just wanted to clear this up as I see it mentioned on the forum a lot. There are no sea snakes living in Victoria. The only species with a distribution that comes close to Vic is the yellow-bellied sea snake (Pelamis platura). Because these guys are pelagic they could potentially find there way into Victorian waters as a result of following warm water currents, but as far as I am aware there have been no confirmed sightings in Vic (however there has been one in SA). So the likelihood of a sea snake finding its way into Victorian offshore waters are tiny, and the chances of one finding its way into a Bay are almost non-existent. Sorry if that sounded a little rude, just wanted to clear it up :).
When I first started fishing I used to think those sand eels were a type on snake till some one pointed out they are an eel, sticks it's head out of the sand picking off bits of food floating past, till you hook one and and kiss your rig goodbye ! they do make a tangled mess !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 pm

I have seen flounder caught in vic , not many but I Remmer two being caught on sand worm at the mouth of the Werribee river
I have caught a few in southern new waters on soft plastics
Over in WA in the swan river they target flounder on plastics as a regular catch , I don't know if they are the same species

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”