Snapper recon mission.

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Snapper recon mission.

Post by bowl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:44 pm

purple5ive wrote:So with the weather being nice on sunday just gone.
I headed out from.patto with my cousin who is a keen fisho but has no experience.
Was more of a trial run to see if we can fine tune the sounder and see if i can find any snapper to see what they look like in my new elite ti9 which i have just recently installed.
As soon as we got our of the patto mouth i seen a massive amount of birds diving and dolphins working the same area. So made a beeline for the area. They were in 2m of water between all the yellow marker poles to the right. So just before chelsea area.
I thought were in for a nice salmon session. But it wasnt to be. Whatever they were feeding on the salmon werent there that's fir sure. But the dolphins put up a show that i will never forget. My cousin was thrilled to the moon. The dolphins were chasing the bait all over the place and were going under our boat and around us etc. I have never seen them so close to the boat and in such crystal clear water.. that in itself made my day. And ofcourse as usual left the gopro at home fml....

After that we headed straight to black rock to see whats happening there. Sammy the seal turned up. And my cousin again was over the moon. He has never seen this sort of stuff upclose before. No fish there so we went to chelsea 13m.mark and sounded up some fish. But nothing biting on.plastics which i wasnt expecting them to anyway.

From there headed for frankston. But no cigar there either.
So we headed back in. With just enough fuel to make it back. I used up all 25 litres of fuel travelling around those areas. Which is ok i guess for a 2 stroke 50hp at full.noise of course

All in all a beautifull day and perfect conditions to have a drive around the bay and get things sorted on the boat.
Im still yet to tune the sounder properly. So any tips are nost welcome

But here's a screen shot of what we sounded up at chelsea. Water temp., depth and also boat speed are displayed.

. And also a pic from when we were out last time in geelong taken as we flew past born2fish.

2017-09-12 10.03.24.jpg
2017-09-06 15.41.48.png
Salmon...
Had same issue fortnight ago ,birds diving but no salmon , few other boats gave up on them as well.

Could see bait n big marks on sounder...

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Snapper recon mission.

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks lads,
i wasnt sure what it was my first thought was pinkies as thats what im used to seeing when they are around, but the usual plastics didnt even get a sniff so i figured maybe its something else, there was no seal in this area,
ducky yeah possible that its the weight for the buoy, but wouldnt the anchor rope/cable show up as well??
bowl, thsese pics were from a different spot, i didnt check the sounder when the dolphins were around as i was too busy trying to watch what they were doing haha..

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”