where to find out beach worms

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
alwaystry

where to find out beach worms

Post by alwaystry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 am

Hi,

I heard beach worms are the best for many sea fishes. However, I have never found them on Melbourne's beach. Can any beach worming expert be kind enough to tell me where and when to find beach worms.

Any information is highly appreciated.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Re: where to find out beach worms

Post by fishingvic » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:11 am

There are always plenty of worms and Bass Yabbies around Blairgowrie on a low tide...

Other members may be able to help locate them closer to Melbourne
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

alwaystry

Post by alwaystry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:08 am

Thank you very much. Is winter also easy to find them when low tides?

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:13 pm

Marine beach worms, tube worms, blood worms - the best bait for any marine species. Perfect for whiting and bream.

Tube worms - altona flats during low tide. You need a good back to pump them out.

Blood worms - altona flats during low tide. Look for small "volcanoes" on the mud.

Yabbies - Rye pier and Blairgowrie marina during low tide. wade through the shallows and look for holes in the sand. If you know the mud flats in WP, that is also a good place to go.

Beach worms - St Kilda area. This is how an old man I always fish with do it. This method is not on the rec fishing guide and could be illegal. He digs a shallow pit by the water line. He then lays a net 1x1m as fine as mozzie net (it could be is old mozzie net). He then drops his bait (fish frames or chicken) in the middle of the net. He covers the whole thing and leaves it overnight. The next morning, he lifts the 4 corners of his net and tadaaaa - his bait was covered with beach worms. I guess the bigger the net, the better.

The tackle shop in Newport Williamstown sells yabbies ($0.50) each and tube worms ($20 a dozen).
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

alwaystry

Post by alwaystry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks Cador.

Using a net might be a good idea. I have got a bait net from Raysoutdoor and going to give a try.

Regarding the WP (Western Port), I have been in Hastings Pier for several times. I did some reach around this area. It has big mud plat and I can see many small pores "volcanoes". I tried a few of them and found nothing there but some small crabs hidden there. Shall I keep digging? lol... By the way, what tool can be legally used to dig them out in mud plat?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Marine beach worms, tube worms, blood worms - the best bait for any marine species. Perfect for whiting and bream.

Tube worms - altona flats during low tide. You need a good back to pump them out.

Blood worms - altona flats during low tide. Look for small "volcanoes" on the mud.

Yabbies - Rye pier and Blairgowrie marina during low tide. wade through the shallows and look for holes in the sand. If you know the mud flats in WP, that is also a good place to go.

Beach worms - St Kilda area. This is how an old man I always fish with do it. This method is not on the rec fishing guide and could be illegal. He digs a shallow pit by the water line. He then lays a net 1x1m as fine as mozzie net (it could be is old mozzie net). He then drops his bait (fish frames or chicken) in the middle of the net. He covers the whole thing and leaves it overnight. The next morning, he lifts the 4 corners of his net and tadaaaa - his bait was covered with beach worms. I guess the bigger the net, the better.

The tackle shop in Newport Williamstown sells yabbies ($0.50) each and tube worms ($20 a dozen).

Love that idea of catching beach worms. Must give it a try.

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rogs » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:23 am

alwaystry wrote:Hi,

I heard beach worms are the best for many sea fishes. However, I have never found them on Melbourne's beach. Can any beach worming expert be kind enough to tell me where and when to find beach worms.

Any information is highly appreciated.
alwaystry wrote:Hi,

Any information is highly appreciated.[/

try the easy way if you dont mind spending........surf the net for aquabait delivered to your home

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:40 am

rogs wrote:

try the easy way if you dont mind spending........surf the net for aquabait delivered to your home

It is not cheap for $200 a kilo of live worm, it will be costly if you cant keep them alive.

Malone's tackle shop in new port sells tube worms and yabbies. $20 worm should be more than enough o get your bag (of the fish is around).
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:31 pm

Yes, warms are good for bream and whiting, but I found it hard to catch them in Melbourne, they were much easier on the south coast beaches.

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Cuda » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Marine beach worms, tube worms, blood worms - the best bait for any marine species. Perfect for whiting and bream.

Beach worms - St Kilda area. This is how an old man I always fish with do it. This method is not on the rec fishing guide and could be illegal. He digs a shallow pit by the water line. He then lays a net 1x1m as fine as mozzie net (it could be is old mozzie net). He then drops his bait (fish frames or chicken) in the middle of the net. He covers the whole thing and leaves it overnight. The next morning, he lifts the 4 corners of his net and tadaaaa - his bait was covered with beach worms. I guess the bigger the net, the better.The tackle shop in Newport Williamstown sells yabbies ($0.50) each and tube worms ($20 a dozen).

Hi FC..
Are you positive those were beach worms your friend finds around St Kilda beach?Is this guy still around and would he mind telling/showing exactly where/how he gets them. I'd be willing to compensate him for the favour.
Cheers.
Feel free to PM if that suits better.
Thanks very much

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”