Cornacarpio's Eclectic Estuarine Escapades

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Eclectic Estuarine Escapades

Post by 4liters » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:38 am

hornet wrote:I used to wonder about that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. A magical power holding together good and evil, the dark side and the light. Crazy thing is... it's true. The Force. The Jedi... All of it... It's all true.

And especially the Tailor !

Seriously tho... I fished it back in the day with a surf rod when the tailor run happened every winter, I pulled some beasts out at times !
I suspect (but have no evidence to back this up) that back in the day the power station used to release a lot more hot water into the bay so more fish were attracted as a result. I assume that since then a more efficient heat exchanger has been built so the outflow is cooler and the fishing has declined with it.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:43 am

So you did go over to the dark side? I haven't been on here for about two years. I read that they drained TNR, did you catch The Colonel?

I'm down at Inverloch most of my time these days catching just about everything that swims in an estuary except squid, which is my next target. I also jump in he car occasionally to lubricate the shoulder using the fly rod for trout. GL with your adventures, though I think your definition of an estuary and every one else's is a little different. I may also pop up to Gardeners Creek in a few weeks time as I seem to have a little more time on Tuesdays these days to see if you've left anything?

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi TP, I have indeed crossed town and with it to the 'dark side'...although Gardiners Creek and the fish within it, will always hold a special place in my heart (I believe it holds a self-sustaining population of Carp, so you might just get lucky on Tuesday). I'm still new to the estuary/salty stuff, so I am still learning the caper...

Rumour has it that TNA was indeed drained (it may still be for all I know) and that no Carp matching the colonel's dimensions was ever found...so maybe someone caught him, but it wasn't me :(

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:16 pm

I've only been in the salt for two years but I'm quite enjoying it. My heart is still with the fly rod but strapping a rod to the push bike and cycling to the spot is what I did as a kid, it seems kind of natural if you know what I mean? Also may I suggest you get a bait pump and try to find some yabbies? It's my go to bait and just about everything swimming will take them, best of all is that they're free.

Prawnboy

Post by Prawnboy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi mate just wanted to say I've been lurking your threads for ages and they're always a pleasure to read and I've been through most of your spots too (living in the west here as well). I'm freshwater usually but beginning to dip my toes in the salt as well. :super:

I haven't had as much luck at the nong, tried a few spots. The anglers tavern bridge is fun casting near the pylons. Think there's mostly small stuff in there though.

Also I recognise that telescopic rod, me and my best mate have the same one hahaha. Its been way better than I expected it to be and I've been catching more on it as of late than my main two piece!

Keep up the good work man. :water:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Headed to my favourite spot on the 'Nong again (near a place that rhymes with 'Wrangler's Cavern') and picked up right where I left off. I thought the Bream might have been 'on the chew' the other day, but, in this spot at least, it seems they're always on the bite. Pretty much exactly the same scenario as last time - I cast out and only had to wait a few seconds for an inevitable bite. Once again, there was plenty of Gobies around and I probably landed between 6-8 Bream all up. I'm not sure any of them would have been of legal size, but it was really fun catching them nevertheless. Most of them gave a really good account of themselves for their size.

As I was donating a lot of my market-bought bait to the fish in the river, I decided to tie on a lure on to economise on bait, but this endeavour proved unfruitful. 20-30 casts from a high profile StikePro lure wasn't enough to entice the Bream. So I rigged up with a prawn again and was on virtually straight away.

While I was there another angler came over and told me an 18kg Mulloway had been caught in the same spot last week! Not sure if I believe it, but part of me wants to! But first I should probably focus on catching a 28cm Bream...

:water:

Black Bream

Though plentiful, the bream is not always easy to catch. It is a distinctly “fickle” fish; but one whose whims and fancies repay the closest study. There are few finer sporting fish to be got anywhere. It can be caught practically all year round; at any time, day or night, depending on the vagaries of the fish itself or some obscure meteorological conditions as yet unsolved.

From the Concise Handbook of Australian Fishing (1947) by “Taggerty”, National Handbook No.19, Robertson & Mullens Limited, Melbourne, p.61
Attachments
20170311_182416.jpg
Catch of the day
20170311_183314.jpg
20170311_180632.jpg
20170311_180651.jpg
20170311_181753.jpg
20170311_171504.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:16 am

Nice work CC :thumbsup:

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 am

I've got you down for a mulloway CC......only a matter of time :nicefish!:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:52 am

Geez, no pressure or anything...

I was thinking maybe a mullet for my next estuarine fish, but no...the punters are demanding a mulloway ;-)

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:57 am

Cornacarpio wrote:Geez, no pressure or anything...

I was thinking maybe a mullet for my next estuarine fish, but no...the punters are demanding a mulloway ;-)
Get the mullet for bait then the Jew.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”