Post by denis barden » Fri May 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Guys
Can someone please advise me what the go is June-July at Bemm River
Is it worth going or not
Cheers Denis

bilby

Re: Info Please -Bemm River Vic

Post by bilby » Fri May 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Should be big bream and winter estuary perch around. Might be worth throwing out a live bait on the sand flats near the entrance of the river into Sydenham Inlet very early or late, too ...

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat May 20, 2017 10:45 am

Has been a lot of years, but, June and July were always good for bream.
We only used sandworm.
AND take your longjohns

Cheers
Gra

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Sat May 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Denis, have been fishing Bemm for long weekend in March for many years,just checked my diary and only once down there in middle of June.It was a productive trip and yielded my first over kilo Bream @ 1.08kg and 43.3 cm.There were three others got fish over kilo and many other good keepers. About 250 metres off the Mahoganies in around 2 metres depth was my best area.
Given reasonable conditions you would always find something.
Matter of interest,were you involved at Lower Plenty cricket or footy?
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sat May 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Tx Blue
No cricket or footy for me

Texas

Post by Texas » Sun May 21, 2017 11:43 am

My mate was taught to fish Bemm River by Gordon at Bemm River bungalows.
We used poles, to kept boat steady, just off channel & cast into channel.(in the lake)
Sandworm with running sinker, pump worms out from the river mouth.

I know it's a long time, but, shouldn't have changed that much.
Although amenities appear to be much improved

Cheers
Gra

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Texas is right in using the poles - either that, or two anchors to stop the boat from moving around too much when you're out in the lake.
I've caught fish in many areas of the lake, the river and the channel, so there's plenty of places to try if you're not getting any bites.
But - be careful if the wind whips up a bit, cos it can get pretty choppy out on the lake and if you're in a small boat like I was, and you're over at the channel, then the trip back to the boat ramp will be a slow and possibly wet trip for you, especially if the wind is from the South-west. There is a little storm hut over at the point where the channel meets the lake and if it looks too rough and wet out there you can always stop there where it's sheltered.
Depending on the water level, also watch out for shallow areas in the lake and at the mouth of the river.
The best place for info and bait etc, is from Mark at the Bait 'n Tackle store. (the only store in town) He's a top bloke and has helped me out with more than just fishing info. He gave me duct tape and plastic sheets to cover up my shattered rear windscreen, which the bloody council lawnmowers broke when they were mowing at the boat ramp one day. And just letting you know that there's no petrol available in town. Best to get plenty of fuel at Orbost or Cann River, depending on which way you're coming from. If you're coming from Melb, don't go through Lakes Entrance - go the other road via Bruthen as it's a much better and quicker way to go.
Hope you get a few - let us know how you go.
Cheers, Neil.
P.S. There's plans of fixing up the main boat ramp and the locals want a dual ramp with a floating jetty, which would make perfect sense due to the varying water levels when the entrance opens and closes - but for some stupid reason there's allegedly one person in town objecting to it and the council are leaning towards making it a fixed jetty, which would either be under water if the entrance is closed, or very high out of the water if the entrance is open, making it difficult to board or disembark from your boat. At the moment there's a floating jetty which works pretty well, but they are looking to upgrade and re-align the jetty to make it more user friendly when it's a bit windy.
Anyway - I hope that all helps!

Texas

Post by Texas » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks Neil, you brought back some nice memories.
Came out of the channel flat chat & hit a 1 metre chop (only once).
We used to go through Bruthern, only one lane in those days.
Only servo open was BTW Sale & Bairnsdale, that's probably changed.
One of the local residents used to blow the entrance, when the water got too high.
Something about the "responsible authority" being useless.
I'm Gunna go again, one day.

Cheers
Gra

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi Texas,
yeah Mark and some of the local lads actually dig out the entrance nowadays - not using dynamite anymore - probably something to do with O.H & S issues perhaps? ... maybe? - lol. They start at the channel digging towards the sea (I think), and don't have to dig too much before it starts to break open and the water does all the work itself then.
But yes I agree, the local authorities aren't much chop down there. I got nowhere when dealing with them after they broke my rear windscreen. Luckily I had a free windscreen on my insurance which didn't affect my policy.
The road through Bruthen is constantly being upgraded now and it's already much better. You have to go into Orbost for fuel as the road bypasses the main part of town now, but it's only a short way off the highway.
We seemed to be unlucky with the winds when heading back to the boat ramp at the end of the day - 3 of us in a 12 foot tinny heading into westerlies or sth-westerly winds aint much fun and as one bloke said to us - "It's a bit gnarly out there" (understatement)
Cheers,
Neil

Texas

Post by Texas » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Hey Denis, heard a rumor that their going to put in a better jetty at Bemm River.
Is it true that they are waiting on you to design the fish cleaning station.
That reminds me, fillets can fly away, if your not careful (lost a few).

Cheers
Gra

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”