Snapper recon mission.

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Snapper recon mission.

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 am

So with the weather being nice on sunday just gone.
I headed out from.patto with my cousin who is a keen fisho but has no experience.
Was more of a trial run to see if we can fine tune the sounder and see if i can find any snapper to see what they look like in my new elite ti9 which i have just recently installed.
As soon as we got our of the patto mouth i seen a massive amount of birds diving and dolphins working the same area. So made a beeline for the area. They were in 2m of water between all the yellow marker poles to the right. So just before chelsea area.
I thought were in for a nice salmon session. But it wasnt to be. Whatever they were feeding on the salmon werent there that's fir sure. But the dolphins put up a show that i will never forget. My cousin was thrilled to the moon. The dolphins were chasing the bait all over the place and were going under our boat and around us etc. I have never seen them so close to the boat and in such crystal clear water.. that in itself made my day. And ofcourse as usual left the gopro at home fml....

After that we headed straight to black rock to see whats happening there. Sammy the seal turned up. And my cousin again was over the moon. He has never seen this sort of stuff upclose before. No fish there so we went to chelsea 13m.mark and sounded up some fish. But nothing biting on.plastics which i wasnt expecting them to anyway.

From there headed for frankston. But no cigar there either.
So we headed back in. With just enough fuel to make it back. I used up all 25 litres of fuel travelling around those areas. Which is ok i guess for a 2 stroke 50hp at full.noise of course

All in all a beautifull day and perfect conditions to have a drive around the bay and get things sorted on the boat.
Im still yet to tune the sounder properly. So any tips are nost welcome

But here's a screen shot of what we sounded up at chelsea. Water temp., depth and also boat speed are displayed.

. And also a pic from when we were out last time in geelong taken as we flew past born2fish.

2017-09-12 10.03.24.jpg
2017-09-06 15.41.48.png

johnnycjay
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Snapper recon mission.

Post by johnnycjay » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:40 am

I did the same trip Sunday with the same results

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:09 pm

purple5ive wrote: But the dolphins put up a show that i will never forget. My cousin was thrilled to the moon. The dolphins were chasing the bait all over the place and were going under our boat and around us etc. I have never seen them so close to the boat and in such crystal clear water.. that in itself made my day. And ofcourse as usual left the gopro at home fml....
Had the exact same experience on the kayak off point cook last week. Could have touched them, and its unnerving to see them swimming directly underneath as well. They look big when you are sitting on a bit of plastic. Followed me with every change of direction and speed chhange

Absolutely tons of bait schools out that way at the moment

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:34 pm

I have taken family and friends out in the bay they all are amazed at the wildlife just another day on the bay for me, nice looking marks there.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:47 pm

cheers guys, yeah i love seeing such diverse wildlife around the bay. none of this would be possible for me without a boat i guess..

ps - can anyone shed some light on those sounder pics, they certainly look like fish to me, but how big are they?
correct me if im wrong but starting from left to right. first pile looks to me like baitfish on bottom and snapper on top, second pile similar situation, 3rd pile some sort of rocks/structure..

or is this a classic snapper school/Christmas tree.

cheers

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:09 pm

That looks for all the world like a school of pinkies sitting behind a dump. Definitely mark that spot for future perusal.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:23 pm

i didnt mark it damn, but i know where it is roughly, the yellow buoy at chelsea 13m is about 3m away for anyone wondering..
i though pinkies first, but when they didnt respond to any usually pinkie plastics i figured maybe they were snapper that weren't feeding.. still trying to work out what actual snapper look like on my sounder
thanks ducky.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:05 pm

A least you got out for a fish

Nice picture off the boat.

Bm

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Ah it's most likely the weight for the bouy then.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Nice photos Steve. They could just be slimies/yakkas. See them like that up at the bait shop in Westernport when that big seal is prowling.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”