Product Testing

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Product Testing

Post by DougieK » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:20 am

While rapidly running out of January to go fishing in, the wind from the south and the swell kicking hard, and a shiny new Assasin popping rod sitting unused in my living room, I rang the G man yesterday to see if he wanted to head to a local jetty and fire some lures around. Collecting him and arriving at Sorrento approx 330pm, we found a little spot amongst the sea of flogs that is fishing on a Peninsula pier in the summer break.

I took an assortment of artillery rounds which got some interesting looks from the Kmart rod wielding kids next to us.....

The new Assasin performs flawlessly, casting 150g lures without having to really rip into it every time. It is extremely lightweight and balances nicely with my Biomaster 10,000. I'm casting 40lb tasline.

With Carl firing little metal slugs and me swapping between the different lures I'm testing actions on, we thought we had most bases covered. About an hour in we saw some dark shapes chasing up an SLXR14 ghost and after a few passes, managed to identify a squid that was barely bigger than the lure we were casting. Very strange to see a Cala on the pumping tide in the middle of a bright sunny day being so aggressive. A quick switch to a yama R08 nailed him.

These big nomads that Scott recommended are just a stunning lure.

Wonderful casting and incredible action in the water. I do have one issue with them though......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnJ7oLuqti0

This 'sinking' stickbait, does not sink. I'm enjoying the nomad products immensely at the moment but this one clearly doesn't do what it says it will do.

As soon as the conditions recover I'll be back out king spinning.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Product Testing

Post by rb85 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:32 am

Scotty Gray has been posting a lot on his instagram targeting kingies and tuna on these lures for the last few months for great results.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:42 am

Those riptides are great lures.
The was a problem with the production on some of them and they were taken off the shelves. But that was a while ago.
Possibly packaged / marked wrongly as there's sinking and floating models. Only way to tell is to weigh it.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:54 am

purple5ive wrote:Those riptides are great lures.
The was a problem with the production on some of them and they were taken off the shelves. But that was a while ago.
Possibly packaged / marked wrongly as there's sinking and floating models. Only way to tell is to weigh it.

Unless you want to spend 100 on an OTL or something stupid like that I don't really think there are too many better products available. I've had a couple of issues with Nomads, they are by no means flawless but at the price point I don't think there is a better lure. They aren't filling up with water on the first cast or anything like i've experienced with some other brands.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 am

How much did you pay for them?

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:09 am

The Nomads are between 20-50 depending on how big you want one. The GT icecream was $18 at Busted, I think the Mackbait was the same. The Big Williamson I think I paid $26 for.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Frank's got great stuff, I'm planning to take some of his stuff over to Angola in July

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:14 pm

The nomad gear is pretty good value.

Have you had a play around with the shimano ocea and colt sniper stickbaits at all?
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”