Some fish are worth more than others to us.

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Some fish are worth more than others to us.

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:06 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:26 pm
mazman wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:18 pm
smokin_reels wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:37 pm

try a surface popper fly in the dark.
I shall try
mazman wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:46 pm

The EPs in other lakes take bugs off the top when there's a few about, I find them easier to get on larger noisier lures but they were taking more subtle options.

They'll hit surface year round but I find it's easier to get them over the warmer months.
Thanks mazman, but how big and noisy are we talking about? Jackall pompadour junior big and loud? or bent minnow big?
Albert Park sounds like a good practice ground and/or Devilbend.
I generally fish around the 60-70mm mark for walkers or 40mm for cicadas but have caught fish on bigger
Thanks!
I have small jitterbug and some storm/berkley WTD walkers, shall give them a try, maybe Albert Park. Maybe a bit late in the season but oh well.
The fish still have to eat Seb focus on days and times the fish are likely to be more active.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:25 pm

rb85 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:06 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Thanks!
I have small jitterbug and some storm/berkley WTD walkers, shall give them a try, maybe Albert Park. Maybe a bit late in the season but oh well.
The fish still have to eat Seb focus on days and times the fish are likely to be more active.
Yeah true that.
I caught wild EPs few times when targeting breams on diving hardbodies in the past, targeting them on surface be diff story. Sounds like a challenge!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:42 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:25 pm
rb85 wrote:
Seb85 wrote:
Thanks!
Yeah true that.
I caught wild EPs few times when targeting breams on diving hardbodies in the past, targeting them on surface be diff story. Sounds like a challenge!
I’m keen to try devilbend in the yak one day or evening try and get a few on top there hopefully. Know that bass shut down and school deep in blue rock over winter don’t know if perch do the same? The metabolism of other fish such as snapper slows once the water temp drops doesn’t mean you can’t catch them they are just a little more tricky?

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:55 pm

rb85 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:42 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:25 pm
rb85 wrote:
Seb85 wrote:
Thanks!
Yeah true that.
I’m keen to try devilbend in the yak one day or evening try and get a few on top there hopefully. Know that bass shut down and school deep in blue rock over winter don’t know if perch do the same? The metabolism of other fish such as snapper slows once the water temp drops doesn’t mean you can’t catch them they are just a little more tricky?
Yes, snappers are still catchable in winter but definitely harder to fool.
Bass yes, yellowbelly too. They go deep and hard to catch.

Not much yak area in devilbend to be honest. I've been thinking to bring my yak there. A bit of steep walk from the carpark to the water too.
Plenty of fish and diff variety too though. Trout should start eating smelting soon, casting/trolling minnow lures might get us trouts/ep/redfins.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:29 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:36 am
Nice work :) Bent Minnows work a treat on the EP.
A lure which is similar to the bent minnow in some respect that I caught a few on yesterday was the Tiemco Deruzze cast out a few short twitches then pause few more twitches the perch hit it hard.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”