Is there a flat in Vic for surface lure fishing?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Is there a flat in Vic for surface lure fishing?

Post by rb85 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:04 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:02 pm
rb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 pm
rb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:58 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:49 pm

Yea I might go to sanctuary lakes on my yak with one rod on sugapen surface and the other with zman grub 2.5"
Just went there for a quick look, a guy getting nibbles by small breams and caught (fail hooked) a sea mullet that looks like about a kilo, big silver sea mullet.
Thats a good idea target likely areas using both methods and have other options such as small vibes, chubby lures and minnows find whats working then focus on that method. Don't know sanctuary lakes so can't comment on an area but I carry a range of lures in my yak to cover a few options also worth carrying some light fluorocarbon leader 4-6lb and learn how to re-tie from the yak become knot proficient. Theres commited bream guys here like Purple5, SmokinReels and Maz who could give you better advice than I on techniques etc in conditions.
From what I saw earlier its pretty shallow with weed bottom, not much structure as its man made lake with concrete edges and bridges here and there.
Yeah would love to get one or two on surface lure, might try it early morning then change to plastic or shallow dive lure.
Thanks.
Sounds like your onto it mate keep your options open theres worse thing to do than kill a few hours working lures if theres heavy weed maybe a weedless plastic might be an option if you cannot get surface action.
Yea true.
My breams on lure record isn't great, hopefully tomorrow will change it.
Hope so good luck mate.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:30 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:04 pm
Seb85 wrote:

Yeah would love to get one or two on surface lure, might try it early morning then change to plastic or shallow dive lure.

Hope so good luck mate.

Seb Bream.PNG

I hope you get one too Seb, and hopefully one that BIG

Good luck

Cheers, Bug

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:32 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:30 pm
rb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:04 pm
Seb85 wrote:

Hope so good luck mate.

Seb Bream.PNG

I hope you get one too Seb, and hopefully one that BIG

Good luck

Cheers, Bug
Bill I cant help you get a bream but will get you a red if you do the drive to vic but it will cost you 50/50 in a bottle of Jack.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Haha thanks y'all
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:35 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:32 pm

Bill I cant help you get a bream but will get you a red if you do the drive to vic but it will cost you 50/50 in a bottle of Jack.
Seb Bream.PNG

Sorry rb, not my best caption but it's supposed to be Seb talking , , , , about wanting to get a BIG Bream , , , , not me.

But your idea of Red in vic , , , , sounds nice , , , , paint the town red , , , , I like the way you think :-D

No 50/50 , , , , I shall bring the Bottle :-D

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:53 pm

Tried surface lure this morning, had two big boofs and one small plop. None landed :-( learnt a lot though, considering it was my first attempt to fish bream on surface, my heart was pounding hard just like cod boofs.

The first boof had no weight when I stroke straight after the boof.
The second one I waited a bit, thought of murray cod, waited for the weight before striking. Felt a small tap after the boof but by the time my head told me to strike, it was too late, no weight.

Any tips?

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:13 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:59 am
mazman wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:05 pm
Not much for whiting because we don't get the right species for the majority of the state. For bream however there are tons of flats you can catch them on surface and plenty more places that aren't flats where they take surface as well. Pick your peak times, change of light, high tides etc. and get out there throwing surface.
Thanks mazman.
And how deep should I be fishing? Yarra, Nong and Docks mostly drop straight to easily 2 metres on the edge.
Should I be looking 1 metre or less to cast to?
I might try Anglesea.
dont go anglesea go to the powlett river on some pipis i got a ton of bites a guy using al lure near the mouth caught a solid 28 cm
goodluck :water:

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:20 pm

Glad to see there are some grounds close to home for you seb, looking forward to reading the surface caught bream report in the near future :thumbsup:

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:34 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:53 pm
Tried surface lure this morning, had two big boofs and one small plop. None landed :-( learnt a lot though, considering it was my first attempt to fish bream on surface, my heart was pounding hard just like cod boofs.

The second one I waited a bit, thought of murray cod, waited for the weight before striking. Felt a small tap after the boof but by the time my head told me to strike, it was too late, no weight.

Any tips?
Good effort in what I imagine would have been tricky conditions.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:34 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:34 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:53 pm

Any tips?
Good effort in what I imagine would have been tricky conditions.
The good, the lake is 1-2m deep and clear, shallow enough for breams to hit surface. Saw a few cruising around.
The bad, it's super weedy, most of the weeds are from bottom to the top, it's like full on weed jungle there.

This morning was a bit windy and overcast, a bit of a drizzle too. I went to covered area from the wind, was around 7am when I got the first boof and 8am was the second.
Tried plastic too, few taps but no hookups. Even on weedless hook, the weed got caught on the tip of the weight.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”