Portland Winter Bottom Bouncing

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Portland Winter Bottom Bouncing

Post by Millzee » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:25 pm

Hi, I've been watching the weather for what seems like months for a clear break to go salt water fishing. Next week it's looking pretty good in the second half so I'm trying to decide where to go. I'd really like to try my boat at Portland chasing a few school tuna and doing some bottom bouncing. I've only really chased tuna at Portland and would like to know how the bottom bashing is this time of year? I've been researching and most articles talk about summer fishing the North shore and Bridgewater Bay. How do these areas go this time of year? Squid? Whiting? Snapper? Gummies and other toothier rough skins? If it's really only good for tuna this time of year I might change coarse and head to WWB or PPB.
Seasoned Portland fisho's please chime in?
Chees :a_goodjob:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Portland Winter Bottom Bouncing

Post by rb85 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:52 pm

Millzee wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:25 pm
Hi, I've been watching the weather for what seems like months for a clear break to go salt water fishing. Next week it's looking pretty good in the second half so I'm trying to decide where to go. I'd really like to try my boat at Portland chasing a few school tuna and doing some bottom bouncing. I've only really chased tuna at Portland and would like to know how the bottom bashing is this time of year? I've been researching and most articles talk about summer fishing the North shore and Bridgewater Bay. How do these areas go this time of year? Squid? Whiting? Snapper? Gummies and other toothier rough skins? If it's really only good for tuna this time of year I might change coarse and head to WWB or PPB.
Seasoned Portland fisho's please chime in?
Chees :a_goodjob:
Milzee if you are targeting Gumbos offshore get fresh bait and sit on the edge of sand/reef somewhere be patient there will be fish around.

Millzee

Post by Millzee » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:02 pm

Milzee if you are targeting Gumbos offshore get fresh bait and sit on the edge of sand/reef somewhere be patient there will be fish around.
[/quote]

Julia Reef way or Bridgy bay I'm thinking???

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:03 am

I've done well on the gummies in Nelson bay in around 15m-20m. Like rb85 said, find the reef edge's or any sort of drop off. Fresh salmon is the gun bait and you should be able to collect a couple just outside the harbor trolling small deep divers and metals.

Cheers, Anth

Millzee

Post by Millzee » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:26 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:03 am
I've done well on the gummies in Nelson bay in around 15m-20m. Like rb85 said, find the reef edge's or any sort of drop off. Fresh salmon is the gun bait and you should be able to collect a couple just outside the harbor trolling small deep divers and metals.

Cheers, Anth
Cheers, I'll let you know how I go :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Good luck mate :thumbsup:

Millzee