your reel

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
PennyWiser

your reel

Post by PennyWiser » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Hello everyone,

This summer my dad took me out of the town for fishing, what i'd asked for. At the beginning i was frustrated, but when i caught my first fish... Oh my... I was happy as a kid :lol: My dad gave me his spinning, and now i go fishing with my family a few times a month. My elder son got this passion to fishing too, so we often go out of town, camp and chill.

Experienced fishermen, help me with choosing new reel, because my one is very outdated and it spins around not smoothly, even my dad doesn't know when he bought it. I'm interested in spinning reels for inshore fishing. Which one do you use and why? Which one would you recommend for newbie? Any nuances about servicing reel and spinning in general?

Waiting for your feedback. Especially interested in Shimano reels, my dad said that they are not bad. I need more info ;)

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: your reel

Post by 4liters » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:17 pm

What’s your budget?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Hello!
What kind of fishing are you into?
Are you just after some bread and butter species?
What was your first fish you caught? :P

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:48 pm

PennyWiser wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:28 pm
Hello everyone,

This summer my dad took me out of the town for fishing, what i'd asked for. At the beginning i was frustrated, but when i caught my first fish... Oh my... I was happy as a kid :lol: My dad gave me his spinning, and now i go fishing with my family a few times a month. My elder son got this passion to fishing too, so we often go out of town, camp and chill.

Experienced fishermen, help me with choosing new reel, because my one is very outdated and it spins around not smoothly, even my dad doesn't know when he bought it. I'm interested in spinning reels for inshore fishing. Which one do you use and why? Which one would you recommend for newbie? Any nuances about servicing reel and spinning in general?

Waiting for your feedback. Especially interested in Shimano reels, my dad said that they are not bad. I need more info ;)
id suggest shimano nascis, siennas, and sedonas in the 2500 range. If you’re interested in daiwa a legalis is worth a look. Spool them with 8lb braid.
Last edited by ronan on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PennyWiser

Post by PennyWiser » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:40 pm

4liters wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:17 pm
What’s your budget?
I'm gonna spend about 200-300$. I was trying to find some more info but i didn't manage to. I found one review, but there are only Shimano and some other reels unknown for me. I don't understand the ropes and i don't feel big difference between reels(for now :vy: )

Review:
https://outdoorsly.org/best-saltwater-spinning-reel/

I've put an eye on Shimano Spheros 5000 SW, but there it's said that it's "Still very durable, but not as durable as the other Shimano products on this list" sounds like bad or very bad? If smb has experience with this model? I don't want to revisit the issue 2-3 months later.
Lightningx wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:23 pm
Hello!
I tried only inshore fishing, but i'm gonna try offshore too, the matter of having a boat! :wt:
First fish i caught was a trout :bn: about 5-6 pounds dad helped me to pull it out of water :-D

P.s. what do you think about Pflueger's reels? Do they cost their money?

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:56 pm

They definitely cost their money; all reels do...

No issues with Pflueger reels.

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:59 pm

PennyWiser wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:40 pm
4liters wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:17 pm
What’s your budget?
I'm gonna spend about 200-300$. I was trying to find some more info but i didn't manage to. I found one review, but there are only Shimano and some other reels unknown for me. I don't understand the ropes and i don't feel big difference between reels(for now :vy: )

Review:
https://outdoorsly.org/best-saltwater-spinning-reel/

I've put an eye on Shimano Spheros 5000 SW, but there it's said that it's "Still very durable, but not as durable as the other Shimano products on this list" sounds like bad or very bad? If smb has experience with this model? I don't want to revisit the issue 2-3 months later.
Lightningx wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:23 pm
Hello!
I tried only inshore fishing, but i'm gonna try offshore too, the matter of having a boat! :wt:
First fish i caught was a trout :bn: about 5-6 pounds dad helped me to pull it out of water :-D

P.s. what do you think about Pflueger's reels? Do they cost their money?
Dont know much about pflueger reels, but if youre looking for something in the 5000 range id go with a shimano sustain, had one for almost 2 years and its been great

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Sienna is ok, but I would recommend the Cazna instead at around the same price point. Much smoother reel.

Spheros is too big for inshore. You want something either size 2500 or 4000 (smaller number is lighter reel). 2500 will catch almost everything so I'd suggest starting with that. Sedona is good too but you won't notice the difference between Sedona and Cazna.

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:07 pm

You might want to invest in a decent rod as well, just a side note.

On the other hand I'm loving my sienna, have had it for a year without any troubles

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Generally saying, reel is to store line and has a drag to act as a 'brake'.
The bigger the reel, the more line it can store and more powerful drag. But also heavier.
Similar story with rods. So the rod and reel gotta match.

Also, more of the models than just the brand. Shimano has so many different models and so does other brands. They can range from $40 up to $1000+

Start with that and think what are you gonna use the rod reel for.
If you're going to fish for murray cod that potentially can be 10kg+, then get something like 4000 sized reel to match with 8kg rod.
But if you're fishing for trout around 2lb-6lb, then perhaps a 2500 sized reel to match 2-4 kg rod is enough.
So ideally you have one pair for each type of fishing.

Back to you, what are you intending to use the reel (and rod) for?
We can then give you suggestions and opinions.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”