If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Sinsemilla

Re: Portland - Easter

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:28 pm

ben475 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:21 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:46 pm
Are you just interested in information on going out and catching tuna?

Cheers, Anth

Not just the tuna. I’m happy to fish for / catch just about anything really, it would be interesting troll up a school tuna or 2 though.

I won’t be going out too far in my boat, if the weather is ok my mate will be keen to head out a decent way in his boat (he hasn’t fished Portland before either), with pre booked dates were always going to be at the mercy of the weather.

Any basic tips on the area for that time of year would be good, not looking for anyone’s top secrets just some ideas.
Have you or your mate fished for tuna before?

There are usually Salmon in and around the harbor entrance

Good squid along the beaches like Nuns beach in 3-5m of water. Also caught heaps of whiting in these same areas.

Good flat head drifting in 10-20m off point danger. Also good whiting in close right all along point danger from the golf course.

Tuna sometimes around the ships anchored in the bay.

Go to the tackle store and grab yourself a fishing map of portland. It will put you in areas and get you used to the area as a whole so you know what to look for.

Cheers, Anth

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:37 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:28 pm
ben475 wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

Cheers, Anth

Not just the tuna. I’m happy to fish for / catch just about anything really, it would be interesting troll up a school tuna or 2 though.

I won’t be going out too far in my boat, if the weather is ok my mate will be keen to head out a decent way in his boat (he hasn’t fished Portland before either), with pre booked dates were always going to be at the mercy of the weather.

Any basic tips on the area for that time of year would be good, not looking for anyone’s top secrets just some ideas.

Good squid along the beaches like Nuns beach in 3-5m of water. Also caught heaps of whiting in these same areas.

Good flat head drifting in 10-20m off point danger. Also good whiting in close right all along point danger from the golf course.

Go to the tackle store and grab yourself a fishing map of portland. It will put you in areas and get you used to the area as a whole so you know what to look for.

Cheers, Anth

neither of us have fished for tuna before.
spent a lot of time reading and watching videos over the last few nights. got some ideas but it seems like a whole new world, I'm sure we will make plenty of rookie errors.

will definitely drop into the tackle shop. I have the afn fishing map for Portland, spent some time looking over it already, not quite like being there but gives us some ideas.

thanks for your tips!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:06 am

ben475 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:37 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:28 pm
ben475 wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

Cheers, Anth

Cheers, Anth

neither of us have fished for tuna before.
spent a lot of time reading and watching videos over the last few nights. got some ideas but it seems like a whole new world, I'm sure we will make plenty of rookie errors.

will definitely drop into the tackle shop. I have the afn fishing map for Portland, spent some time looking over it already, not quite like being there but gives us some ideas.

thanks for your tips!
No worries. If you have any questions regarding tuna don't be afraid to send me a pm.

Cheers, Anth

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”