Frustration - fishing for barracouta

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Frustration - fishing for barracouta

Post by crumpet_avenger » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Fishing for snapper on monday at buoy 15 where I have had success before. No snapper but when checking baits I was constantly followed to the surface by some nice sized couta. 2 actually jumped out of the water chasing my pilchard. Others just raced to the top and stayed there. They were roughly 3 ft in size, Id try putting my pilly back in but they would swim away. Given that I was fishing in 70 foot of water and I have been told during the day Couta go to the bottom, I didnt have lures capable to get down there. Is there anyway to catch these guys?

P.s I have caught couta as a bycatch drifting for tiger flathead out off san remo. although given the tide coming through the western entrance, the boat would drift too fast.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Frustration

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:33 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:Fishing for snapper on monday at buoy 15 where I have had success before. No snapper but when checking baits I was constantly followed to the surface by some nice sized couta. 2 actually jumped out of the water chasing my pilchard. Others just raced to the top and stayed there. They were roughly 3 ft in size, Id try putting my pilly back in but they would swim away. Given that I was fishing in 70 foot of water and I have been told during the day Couta go to the bottom, I didnt have lures capable to get down there. Is there anyway to catch these guys?

P.s I have caught couta as a bycatch drifting for tiger flathead out off san remo. although given the tide coming through the western entrance, the boat would drift too fast.
if they where about just a nice shiny 70 gram slice and put it on some good leader I use at least 40 pound
cast out and whined back fairly quick there will hit a slice like 10 men
couta just love shiny things including shiny brass swivels - thats why most use black these days
the old couta are a bit of fun to catch and dam good fresh bait

cheater
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Re: Frustration

Post by fishingvic » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 pm

The Couta will smash anything that moves!

We were fishing for squid using dark coloured jigs, and these Couta smashed the squid jigs. (Lost about 4! :angry:)

Changed over to Rapalas, and metals and landed 6 of them!

PS, the calamari were up to 2kg :clap:
iphone-060911-261.jpg
iphone-060911-261.jpg (79.42 KiB) Viewed 773 times
iphone-060911-264.jpg
Couta and squid
iphone-060911-264.jpg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

will

Re: Frustration - fishing for barracouta

Post by will » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 am

Nice squid and couta! :thumbsup:

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:22 pm

ive heard they are good bait but i really enjoy eating them. nice pics. . cheers for the tips. ive got the bug. whats the best months / and times to catch these guys?

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Great catch .

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”