South West tuna

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
stona

Re: South West tuna

Post by stona » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:46 pm

whats the lightest gear you would want to use chasing tuna that size ?
Ive got an invite on a boat next trip to Portland was just wondering what i could get away with
keen to purchase a larger setup my Ive only got one reel larger than 4000 and its on a surf rod

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:52 pm

Great work
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:15 pm

Awesome work mate! love when a plan comes together.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:37 am

Nice schoolies mate

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:17 am

stona wrote:whats the lightest gear you would want to use chasing tuna that size ?
Ive got an invite on a boat next trip to Portland was just wondering what i could get away with
keen to purchase a larger setup my Ive only got one reel larger than 4000 and its on a surf rod
Hey mate,
I was running a 10000 Spheros on a 37kg t curve which made short work of them, ive used a 6000 reel on a 15kg rod before and had success too, took bloody ages to get them in though. I think you might be a bit under gunned on a 4000.

stona

Post by stona » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:17 am

cheers fitzy90 that sounds like a perfect excuse to pick up a larger reel and rod
ill see what's around on sale

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:53 pm

stona wrote:cheers fitzy90 that sounds like a perfect excuse to pick up a larger reel and rod
ill see what's around on sale
You could do them over with a 4000 but the rod needs to have a bit of power in it.

The lightest i've used on the school fish is a 10-15kg gummy/snapper rod with a 4500 sized daiwa reel. I've got fish to around 25kgs with this setup.

The only thing is when out on a charter blokes are waiting for you to get your fish in so they can get more.. If you're mucking around for ages on light gear you wont be well liked on the boat that's for sure..

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:29 pm

Nice work! Would have been a frantic few minutes re-rigging. Its always heart in the mouth stuff re-rigging when fish are busting up.

Also Stona, if you have been invited out on someones boat, I would check with them first before you bring rods, reels, etc. Chances are they already have the gear to run a spread they regularly run, and extra rods just end up getting under peoples feet.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:29 pm

Scraglor wrote:Also Stona, if you have been invited out on someones boat, I would check with them first before you bring rods, reels, etc. Chances are they already have the gear to run a spread they regularly run, and extra rods just end up getting under peoples feet.
Great advice there Scraglor!

Personally I wouldn't run anything smaller than 24kg tackle. There are "fish of a lifetime" barrels getting caught out there. The stories of 5hrs+ fights before being done are starting to filter through...

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:35 pm

Nice schoolies Fitzy! Losing those big lures to those bloody coota would have been a frustrating and expensive exercise!

Return to “Game Fishing”