Blue fin tuna advice

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Blue fin tuna advice

Post by rb85 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:57 am

Fish-cador wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
rb85 wrote:To start off with I would recommend having a few more rods in the boat ready. Would recommend Okuma Salina combos or the more modern Azores.
Whats the casting weight of your combo?
:o_0: she is sponsored by shimano.
I'm not so these are some of the rods and reels I would be running.
You were making recommendation....think about it.
I did think about it Pal not everyone drools over shimano and other tackle companies are catching up. MissShimano probably has a good network via her sponsors anyhow.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:59 am

cobby wrote:
rb85 wrote:Also would suggest a few rods better suited to trolling.
The Terez will be fine trolling, I use 7ft Kingmacks as trolling rods on some targets. Gimbal butts are better as they lock in the holders and Fuji do a brilliant round rubber butt cap with the gimbal cutout that's actually on the kingmacks from factory, not sure if it's present on the Terez.

The Ocea pencils and rocket dives will be fine to cast. As to similar weighted stickbaits. Heavy weighted jigheads with a plastic will be fine too. I've run xrap 30s on the kingmacks and it's been fine even at 5-6knots trolling, would think on the heavier rated Terez it'd be a piece of cake
I have used similar rods for trolling but prefer overheads. Keep the spin rod for casting.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:20 am

MsShimano wrote: What stick Baits/teasers are people using or if anyone out there has a Terez with roughly the same reel what kind of lures are they using. Any information will be very helpful! Thanks
I have 2 terez rods for my trolling a 10 - 30 lb and a 15 -40 but am still to hook up anything with anger - my reels are Penn 560 slammers with 30 lb braid
the Penns are better suited for me as they handle the riggers of Kayak fishing well and are cheap to replace ( we are hard on reels )
I had to modify the bottom plug on the butts to get them to fit in my rod holders

most of the kayak captures have fallen to white plastics 5 - 7 inch slow trolled and smaller some days 3 inch cast into bust ups
a full have fallen to small skirts again white or whiteish which really we dont troll fast enough - it gets hard work going fast

a few of my mates will be out at Portland this week end paddling around ( probably out to Julia reef ) so keep an eye out for speed bumps if you are boating we are low to the water and dont stand out as well as a boat
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:56 am

https://youtu.be/qEQN9eKaX0c

the lure we used on the day is shown in the end of the video.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:41 pm

For that outfit you cant go past rapala xrap longcasts...(even if you are sponsored by shimano) I have the same outfit but with a white terez and it stopped tuna to 35kg pretty easily last season. Good luck with your latest venture
canned_tuna

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Pal?

I dont know about that. Lol

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:31 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Pal?

I dont know about that. Lol
Come on grumpy.

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:31 pm

rb85 wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
rb85 wrote:To start off with I would recommend having a few more rods in the boat ready. Would recommend Okuma Salina combos or the more modern Azores.
Whats the casting weight of your combo?
:o_0: she is sponsored by shimano.
I did think about it Pal not everyone drools over shimano and other tackle companies are catching up. MissShimano probably has a good network via her sponsors anyhow.
Also notice that each post starts like an infomercial. I have this x paired beautifully with y that's just super amazingly incredible. Lol. I've decided to start buying Daiwa just out of principle
:tongue:
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Its a nice combo Ms Shimano no wonder you baged out on the Whiting,good on you,do any of those reel have or come with a bait runner.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:31 am

Kadmium wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Fish-cador wrote: :o_0: she is sponsored by shimano.
Also notice that each post starts like an infomercial. I have this x paired beautifully with y that's just super amazingly incredible. Lol. I've decided to start buying Daiwa just out of principle
:tongue:
Got a Daiwa revros combo at around the 8kg line weight. Nice rod and reel handles the vic Barra but don't think I would be game to try it on the tuna.

Purchased one of those Soccoro reels the other month haven't put it through it's paces yet.

Return to “Game Fishing”