Apollo Bay - Sat 10/6 - Report

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
ChrisAbout

Apollo Bay - Sat 10/6 - Report

Post by ChrisAbout » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:18 am

Myself, Ian and Marek made the trip to Apollo Bay this weekend, continuing the tradition of chasing tuna every weekend.
Having tested the grounds at Portland, Port Fairy and Bawron Heads in the last month, I figured Apollo Bay is the only sensible location still left to try.

We got at the ramp at 4AM with 2 other boats and checking the bins, there were several good barrel frames left over.

We launched just after 6.30AM and headed straight for the reef patch off Cape Otway. As it was my first time launching at Apollo Bay and still dark outside, as we exited the harbour we got smashed by a breaking wave. Luckily the boat didn't get turned, but we all got drenched.

I decided not to follow the 20 odd boats heading W/SW and diverted away from the 50m line, cruising around the 80m depth. 1 hour later pushing through the moderate swell and we had finally arrived at the reef. This was confirmed by the presence of diving birds, seals and dolphins. No other boats in sight, means we have the grounds. The sounder lit up with baitfish and we are ON.

Not long until the short corner starts screaming, but my deckies get tangled in each other's lines and lose what I am told felt like a heavy fish. Bummer!
No matter, 10mins later the long corner starts peeling off and in no time my man Ian pops his tuna cherry and has a small schoolie in the kill tank. :a_goodjob:

I start figure 8ing the bait area and 20mins later the brand new PENN 50VSW starts screaming and Marek is on the rod. He tries to reel it in like the one before, but it didn't take long for him to realise that this was NOT a schoolie. "We're onto a big fish boys" he says.

15mins later, Ian takes over the rod and the fight continues. He was giving it his all, giving the tuna a good fight whilst I was using the boat to tire the fish out.
After 30mins of fighting he indicates a switch is necessary, so I take over the rod and Marek takes the wheel.
She was indeed a BIG tuna, I could feel it in the rod and it wasnt long until she went for her famous run peeling a good 500m of line from the 50VSW.
No matter, I still had 700m left to play with.

We're now well into 2hrs of fighting this fish and gaining my line back. The 200lb leader is soon winding on the reel and I have the fish several meters off the boat. She is HUGE, a true barrell.

She finally decides to go for one last run under the boat. At this point I am screaming FORWARD, FORWARD, LEFT AND FORWARD, but the boat isn't moving. I keep screaming as she is now inches off the prop and I know if we don't clear the line, she will snap it!!!

2 seconds later I hear *SNAP* and the fish is lost. :down: :down:

No f%#*ing way followed by a long list of &^*@*@$#@*#$ was the only sounds you could hear whilst I was smashing my rod. I was less than impressed with the driver and he knew it!

This is my 2nd barrell lost boat-side in as many months. Mother f^$^#$ker!!!

Since I had to get to a wedding last night, we pulled the pin at 2PM and headed back to port and then home, with yet again no barrell. At least the deckies have a schoolfish to themselves to enjoy later on.

Thanks to Ian and Marek for joining me!

PHOTOS: Sorry I dont have many photos, as I don't thin my deckies took any.

Apollo Bay - I'm coming back next weekend. :thumbsup:

IMG_0330.jpeg

Johand

Re: Apollo Bay - Sat 10/6 - Report

Post by Johand » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:54 am

Thanks for a great read.pity you lost out .Makes you more determined than ever :thumbsup:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:05 am

Good report, bad luck about the break off, cheers davo :snap:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:11 am

I feel sorry for you mate, 2 hours and then snap,i would still be swearing in my sleep for a week.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:20 am

Bad luck mate.
Hopefully 3rd time you will be lucky for the big barrell! :thumbsup:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:33 am

I figure that's fishing though, and a fish like that needs absolutely everything to be perfect or it will find you out.

The positive is that we have hooked 2 confirmed and 1 probable barrel in a handful of trips so we are doing something right. Not many boats can claim to have that kind of strike rate

I cooked up some steaks from the schoolie last night, medium rare with some lime and chili sauce it was amazing so I guess I'm now in the market for some tuna lures. Any ideas? There should be some EOFY and stock take sales coming up so hopefully the bank account doesn't get as reamed out as it otherwise would.

Sounds like a Pakula lumo sprocket is a safe bet.
As for hardbodies, this thing looks pretty cool: http://www.rayannes.com.au/shop-online/ ... our-19-95/ Any idea if SBT would think so too?
A deep diver that can be trolled at the same speed as a skirt would be handy too
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:53 am

Shattered man. I heard about it yesterday. Mareks pretty upset about it too loll.
2 hours is a long time to be on a fish. But uts happened before.
Next weekend i hope the stars align for you.

Ian - should have taken advantage of bcf buy one get one free lure sale. Xraps and tuna skirts all on sale. Too late now though.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:56 am

purple5ive wrote: Ian - should have taken advantage of bcf buy one get one free lure sale. Xraps and tuna skirts all on sale. Too late now though.
Yeah, I didn't wanted spend a stack of money until I knew I'd like eating them though. I'm in no rush, there's going to be some good sales coming up
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:35 am

Great read chris you are certainly putting in. The lumo sprocket is an awesome lure and comes in many sizes. Those halco's look good killer vibes are good to but I really like x raps the 40 holds in has never popped out sometimes the 30's pop out when the boat has accelerated down a swell when this happens we either juggle the throttle to maintain an even speed but that requires a lot of concentration. Or adjust or max speed to the down side of the swell.
Good luck on your hunt for the barrel

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Nude up wrote:Great read chris you are certainly putting in. The lumo sprocket is an awesome lure and comes in many sizes. Those halco's look good killer vibes are good to but I really like x raps the 40 holds in has never popped out sometimes the 30's pop out when the boat has accelerated down a swell when this happens we either juggle the throttle to maintain an even speed but that requires a lot of concentration. Or adjust or max speed to the down side of the swell.
Good luck on your hunt for the barrel
Does the style of lure head make much difference? Looking for 'lumo sprocket' has turned up 'original hotheads', 'paua hotheads' and 'paua jets', not to mention the 3D printed heads

If it makes any difference I'd prefer to target schoolies with a chance of a barrel rather than exclusively chase big fish

Return to “Game Fishing”