Port MacDonald

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
angus1701w

Re: Port MacDonald

Post by angus1701w » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Are there many fish being caught down port fairy way

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:13 pm

angus1701w wrote:Are there many fish being caught down port fairy way
salty dog charters got one per customer recently

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Causon bait and tackle report
http://www.causonhavocbaitandtackle.com.au

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:08 pm

got to Port MacDonnell today. Stopped at the bait and tackle store, and was directed to head west. Apparently in South Oz, you need to have sea chart, and a second parachute flare. Fortunately I had a second flare, but had to fork out for the sea chart.

It was extremely foggy this morning as I headed out using the GPS, there was a slight swell with hardly any breeze and it is a bit nerving because a larger than usual wave would loom out of the fog. Passed over and area in 10-15 metres that was a dense red, no arches, but dense sea of red, on the sounder as I headed out deeper the sounder cleared up, but there was a lot of floating seaweed.

Firstly I headed in a southerly direction and as the fog began to lift, turned in a westerly direction trolling the skirts. Listening for any chatter about fish on the radio. The boats further west than me, were drawing blanks, one said he was in a spot where he had caught 20 the day before, but none today.

So instead of heading west, I turned east as there were also dark clouds coming in from the west. Sadly the was no bird activity to be seen. As the dark clouds got closer, I decided to pull the pin and head back in. Again travelling over this sea of red, in 10-15 metres of water, I expected to see some kelp, it was that dense.

I managed to get the boat back on the trailer as the rain started. I stopped off at the shop and asked it they had a big kelp forest out there, and he said that there is kelp in patches. So what I took to be a dense forest of seaweed, was in fact possibly an extremely large school of baitfish. That I didn't troll a lure or two over the top of. There were no seals, no dolphins and no birds.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Red patch could have been krill. the very few times ive been out offshore ive seen them and they look like a purple red in colour. my fish came trolling next to it.

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Yeah, ive seen those red patches after a huge swell a few years back. I thought they were krill. They would occur in large clusters of say 10 to 20 metres in the middle of the open ocean. Haven't seen them in recent years though.....

Joe

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Blueyed1 wrote:Yeah, ive seen those red patches after a huge swell a few years back. I thought they were krill. They would occur in large clusters of say 10 to 20 metres in the middle of the open ocean. Haven't seen them in recent years though.....

Joe
Sorry I the red was on my depth sounder,

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Better luck next time Wolly.

Sometimes my sounder does that if the water is churned up. I think its just silt and bubbles that clutter the screen

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Blueyed1 wrote:Yeah, ive seen those red patches after a huge swell a few years back. I thought they were krill. They would occur in large clusters of say 10 to 20 metres in the middle of the open ocean. Haven't seen them in recent years though.....

Joe
Sorry I the red was on my depth sounder,
Bugger...
Did you check the Downscan to see if it made any more sense...

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:09 pm

I would think that red on the depth sounder at 10-15 metres of water would not be silt - but rather a bait ball...

Joe

Return to “Game Fishing”