Private lake stocking

Fishing club news, reports and notifications of upcoming fishing competitions.
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Private lake stocking

Post by mazman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:31 pm

rb85 wrote:
mazman wrote:
I haven't caught too many fish but have managed to cover a decent range of species with bass, golden perch, murray cod and silver perch.
The silver perch seem to be a popular stocked special
I have limited experience with them but the few I've caught have fought incredibly well which explains part of it
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:35 pm

gregmaka wrote:illegal full stop,if you know of any person doing this in Victoria,please don't support it.
Actually, you can put anything not on the noxious list into a private dam. You can not catch wild fish and stock it, the fish must be bought from a commercial source

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:41 pm

cobby wrote:
gregmaka wrote:illegal full stop,if you know of any person doing this in Victoria,please don't support it.
Actually, you can put anything not on the noxious list into a private dam. You can not catch wild fish and stock it, the fish must be bought from a commercial source
So you can buy bass yellas trout ect. From a commercial source to put in your lake, but carp and stuff isn't allowed?

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:21 pm

wem21 wrote:
cobby wrote:
So you can buy bass yellas trout ect. From a commercial source to put in your lake, but carp and stuff isn't allowed?
That's the basics of it.
Have a read of this if you're after a bit more info https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... tion-sheet
And an example of a possible source, that also provides a bit of additional information https://glenwatersnativefish.com.au/
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:13 am

mazman wrote:
wem21 wrote:
cobby wrote:
That's the basics of it.
Have a read of this if you're after a bit more info https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... tion-sheet
And an example of a possible source, that also provides a bit of additional information https://glenwatersnativefish.com.au/
The only thing to keep in mind there needs to be zero risk of escape into local waterways from flood events etc

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:36 am

I had big rainbows in my own dam over 55cm caught

Unfortunately the damn was small, so heated up like a light globe in summer and a lot of the trout died each year to that and the shags

But yeah it didnt take them long to get to 50cm+ in captivity eating tuna pellets every day. Like a year or 2? I use to love feeding them of an evening. They would go ballistic.

Also stocked it with Atlantic salmon and browns but never really caught them. I suspect it was too warm for them. Would have loved to have put natives in instead as I believe they would have been a little more durable

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:10 am

Kimtown wrote:I had big rainbows in my own dam over 55cm caught

Unfortunately the damn was small, so heated up like a light globe in summer and a lot of the trout died each year to that and the shags

But yeah it didnt take them long to get to 50cm+ in captivity eating tuna pellets every day. Like a year or 2? I use to love feeding them of an evening. They would go ballistic.

Also stocked it with Atlantic salmon and browns but never really caught them. I suspect it was too warm for them. Would have loved to have put natives in instead as I believe they would have been a little more durable
Yeah, I'm digging a goldfish pond in my backyard at the moment because the old man said no more fishtanks in the house. I'm making it quite deep so they can keep cool in 45C heat

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:35 am

wem21 wrote:

Yeah, I'm digging a goldfish pond in my backyard at the moment because the old man said no more fishtanks in the house. I'm making it quite deep so they can keep cool in 45C heat
Interesting

Just for gold fish, yeah?
Post pics of progress

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:03 am

wem21 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up; I was thinking about doing something similar, albeit raised with glass walls - never considered the stinker days...

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:21 am

Trout (muddy tasting) & eels (can't remember how they taste)
Bloke (in the weekly times) recommend perch only for my mates dam in the Strathbogies, told not to put anything in his spring Fed dams, can't remember why
Cheers Gra

Return to “Victorian Fishing Clubs”