Flatties on the Fly

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
jf3253

Flatties on the Fly

Post by jf3253 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:16 pm

Hi Fellas, I'm keen to see if I can nail a few Flatties with a fly rod. I've be "told" that around Altona might be a go. Anyone had success on a Fly in the Bay? Tips and locations welcome. John

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Flatties on the Fly

Post by mazman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:33 pm

jf3253 wrote:Hi Fellas, I'm keen to see if I can nail a few Flatties with a fly rod. I've be "told" that around Altona might be a go. Anyone had success on a Fly in the Bay? Tips and locations welcome. John
Welcome to the forum, I've never actually tried but it seems like it would be relatively simple to do, try and wade around any beach you would normally sp for flatties off and that should see you into a few, in the bay i would try weighted minnow pattern but if you try an estuary a prawn, crab or shrimp pattern would be the go. I don't have any experience with beaches in the northern half of ppb but i'm sure there is someone on here who can point you in the right direction.
Ps. it may be worth doing a quick intro to the forum as well, most people on forums tend to be quiet guarded about their information until you introduce yourself and prove your worth to the community as such.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

jf3253

Post by jf3253 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:39 pm

Ok here goes, based in port melbourne, I fish the bay "a little bit", I'm mainly a trout fly fisher, but that's not to hot at the moment, and I'm thinking about seeing if salt water fly fishing is a viable option in the bay and I figure that Flatties would be an appropriate target species. hope that helps. :)

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:42 pm

Ud need a heavy fly and tippet for flatty I assume as they are feeding from the bottom.. Fly fishing for pinkies I hear is the new craze for u crazy fly fisherman
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm

personally i love fly fishing but for some reason can only get into flats/estuary, lake and river. the deeper salty stuff just hasn't appealed to me on fly for some reason
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:16 pm

a guy at my angling club has been busting my chops to learn to fly fish, he says the finesse the intensity haha I say yeahhhh but the catch rate....
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:20 pm

My grandfather used to fly fish for flathead all the time. Swore by the green matuka

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:35 pm

Ive used deceiver and clouser minnow patterns on a single hook paternoster rig with the hook dropper 3x the length of the sinker dropper(approx 10-20cm). I would assume that you would also get them on a regular fly rod and line if your presentation was good!
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Westfish

Post by Westfish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:43 pm

I haven't chased them here but it is common for there to be a few wand wavers playing on the flats on the Swan river (WA).
They will pretty much take anything you can get in front of thier face but weighted Clousters are common.
Attachments
Flat fly.jpg
Flat fly.jpg (28.84 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
http://www.westfish.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:32 pm

I have caught some good sized flatties in Walaga Lake near Bermagui using large Mrs Simpsons and I think any matuka-type fly would work well. I used a slow but jerky retrieve over the weed beds.

Return to “Flathead fishing”