Land based flatheads

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
shazdoggg

Re: Land based flatheads

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:19 am

4liters wrote:
Nude up wrote:Try rigmaster tackle I buy red and blue from him he also sells black ones that you do not need to thread on your line
I use these too. I reckon he needs to upgrade the design a bit though to make the hole through the middle bigger so it doesn't catch on the leader knot so much
Or you can use '"duck's nut's" slider which is better designed and stronger than any of the ezy rigs I've bought. I've only been using them for around a year and they make life so much easier if your using a sliding sinker rig. The only thing is that the ducks nuts are designed for the sinker to be on a dropper unlike ezy rigs which have a snap clip. IMO this is a way better design as the sinker dropper can be tied with lighter line and means the 'slider' does'nt break as they do so easily on the ezy rigs.

Ducks nuts sliders are one of many busted fishing products which are designed and made by our fellow forum member..Busted

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:36 am

shazdoggg wrote:
4liters wrote:
Nude up wrote:Try rigmaster tackle I buy red and blue from him he also sells black ones that you do not need to thread on your line
I use these too. I reckon he needs to upgrade the design a bit though to make the hole through the middle bigger so it doesn't catch on the leader knot so much
Or you can use '"duck's nut's" slider which is better designed and stronger than any of the ezy rigs I've bought. I've only been using them for around a year and they make life so much easier if your using a sliding sinker rig. The only thing is that the ducks nuts are designed for the sinker to be on a dropper unlike ezy rigs which have a snap clip. IMO this is a way better design as the sinker dropper can be tied with lighter line and means the 'slider' does'nt break as they do so easily on the ezy rigs.

Ducks nuts sliders are one of many busted fishing products which are designed and made by our fellow forum member..Busted
Yeah, I've seen those. I might try Redhunter's suggestion first though because the busted sliders aren't cheap
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:47 am

90% of my bait fishing in ppb and wpb I pre tie my rigs at home with a swivel at the end put in individual zip tie plastic bags different hook sizes different strength leaders. On my main line I put the easy rig a bead then a coast lock swivel the bead prevents the ezi rig damaging the knot at the coast lock swivel. this allows me to replace rigs upsize or downsize hook size easily without having to mess about with glasses and tying them on the boat. I also carry leader material hooks etc on the boat if I need it.
This system may not work for everybody but it works for me quick easy and best of all I don't kneed my reading glasses

pwalnuts

Post by pwalnuts » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:12 am

I do exactly this as well, easy and convenient.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:01 am

Nude up wrote:90% of my bait fishing in ppb and wpb I pre tie my rigs at home with a swivel at the end put in individual zip tie plastic bags different hook sizes different strength leaders. On my main line I put the easy rig a bead then a coast lock swivel the bead prevents the ezi rig damaging the knot at the coast lock swivel. this allows me to replace rigs upsize or downsize hook size easily without having to mess about with glasses and tying them on the boat. I also carry leader material hooks etc on the boat if I need it.
This system may not work for everybody but it works for me quick easy and best of all I don't kneed my reading glasses
Have you had ezy rigs break like where the dropper loop is? I've broken off that many to snags and casting, and then you have to cut and retie to chuck anther one on!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:44 am

shazdoggg wrote:
Nude up wrote:90% of my bait fishing in ppb and wpb I pre tie my rigs at home with a swivel at the end put in individual zip tie plastic bags different hook sizes different strength leaders. On my main line I put the easy rig a bead then a coast lock swivel the bead prevents the ezi rig damaging the knot at the coast lock swivel. this allows me to replace rigs upsize or downsize hook size easily without having to mess about with glasses and tying them on the boat. I also carry leader material hooks etc on the boat if I need it.
Have you had ezy rigs break like where the dropper loop is? I've broken off that many to snags and casting, and then you have to cut and retie to chuck anther one on!
No not had many break like that but when the rod is in the rocket launcher and I am moving spots I always take the lead off and reclip the ezi rig they seem to work themselves off and I have to re tie a new one on because I have lost the clip.

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:55 pm

I got these two flathead today at Kerferd Road Pier. Both on soft plastics. https://youtu.be/cjlSgX3Ue2c

I reken soft plastic outdo bait hands down for flathead.

pappyy3
Has liked: 4 times

Post by pappyy3 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:49 pm

LINwAd wrote:I got these two flathead today at Kerferd Road Pier. Both on soft plastics. https://youtu.be/cjlSgX3Ue2c

My experience is the exact opposite. When fishing for Flathead, bait outfished lures every outing. :)

I'm sure everyone will have different experiences

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:08 pm

pappyy3 wrote:
LINwAd wrote:I got these two flathead today at Kerferd Road Pier. Both on soft plastics. https://youtu.be/cjlSgX3Ue2c

My experience is the exact opposite. When fishing for Flathead, bait outfished lures every outing. :)

I'm sure everyone will have different experiences
Depends on the day ,some days they go nuts for plastic, other days bait!!!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:14 pm

if your fishing the bottom, flathead will never say no to a lure, bait is a waste..

Return to “Flathead fishing”