Spot for flatties? HELP A NEWBIE

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Spot for flatties? HELP A NEWBIE

Post by 4liters » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:46 pm

wem21 wrote: Lol I'll be sure to PM nude up!
Spots aren't the problem, it's probably technique and the fact that you're landbased that is.

I've got a few here in the past: -37.960740, 144.714531
Take surf rods and use banana prawn from the supermarket for bait. Don't go alone after dark as there are some 'interesting' people who hang out there. Alternatively wade out at low tide and use your plastics.

Failing that, get yourself a copy of the Landbased Guide to Port Phillip. It has a heap of spots and techniques, plus it lists the species commonly caught at each location.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:51 pm

4liters wrote:
wem21 wrote: Lol I'll be sure to PM nude up!
Spots aren't the problem, it's probably technique and the fact that you're landbased that is.

I've got a few here in the past: -37.960740, 144.714531
Take surf rods and use banana prawn from the supermarket for bait. Don't go alone after dark as there are some 'interesting' people who hang out there. Alternatively wade out at low tide and use your plastics.

Failing that, get yourself a copy of the Landbased Guide to Port Phillip. It has a heap of spots and techniques, plus it lists the species commonly caught at each location.
Thanks! When you say some interesting characters are around after dark, do they hang out on the rocks directly next to the road
or that harbour nearby?

wem21

Post by wem21 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:03 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Here is one mark.

-37.801643, 144.907634.

You can get other species too.
What other species can you get? And are the fish there safe to eat? Water looks yukky with all the trash :down:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:15 pm

OMFG, can you pls learn to use the search function.

wem21

Post by wem21 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Brett wrote:OMFG, can you pls learn to use the search function.
? Don't understand

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Screenshot_2016-12-08-22-25-37.png
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:57 am

wem21 wrote:
? Don't understand
It's just Brett being friendly and welcoming and suggesting you should search for the answers before asking a question which offends him as he has to move his eyeballs to scan what you posted.

I get a few out of the Yarra by fishing along the edges of the banks on an outgoing tide - but I wouldn't eat them out of there. You catch and release or you want to eat?

Basically they are an ambush predator so they'll station themselves to ambush unsuspecting bait - so if I'm chasing them I look for:

A) current or flow - I prefer the run-out
B) choke points where bait is compressed into a small area
C) drop-offs where bait is swept over the edge

I like to target choke points/channels/edges as its a smaller area to search than the expanse of a drop-off.

Basically be the flattie and try to guess where a good ambush point is and then drag your plastic through that area. They don't move much so you have to move and search for them. Just be methodical and cover ground - they aren't too fussy ... If it passes in front of them they'll try to inhale it.

I like walls because they are easy to fish landbased. The stronger current flow is mid-channel so the slower water next to the wall tends to be a transit path for the bait fish and on the run-out it's like a conveyor belt of food for a flattie. I just cast close to the wall and bring my plastic back parallel to it. Then just walk along the bank ... Wash, rinse and repeat ... Covering the entire length of the bank 15-20m at a time.

I don't fish the piers or beaches so can't help you there.

wem21

Post by wem21 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:28 pm

sloth wrote:
wem21 wrote:
? Don't understand
It's just Brett being friendly and welcoming and suggesting you should search for the answers before asking a question which offends him as he has to move his eyeballs to scan what you posted.

I get a few out of the Yarra by fishing along the edges of the banks on an outgoing tide - but I wouldn't eat them out of there. You catch and release or you want to eat?

Basically they are an ambush predator so they'll station themselves to ambush unsuspecting bait - so if I'm chasing them I look for:

A) current or flow - I prefer the run-out
B) choke points where bait is compressed into a small area
C) drop-offs where bait is swept over the edge

I like to target choke points/channels/edges as its a smaller area to search than the expanse of a drop-off.

Basically be the flattie and try to guess where a good ambush point is and then drag your plastic through that area. They don't move much so you have to move and search for them. Just be methodical and cover ground - they aren't too fussy ... If it passes in front of them they'll try to inhale it.

I like walls because they are easy to fish landbased. The stronger current flow is mid-channel so the slower water next to the wall tends to be a transit path for the bait fish and on the run-out it's like a conveyor belt of food for a flattie. I just cast close to the wall and bring my plastic back parallel to it. Then just walk along the bank ... Wash, rinse and repeat ... Covering the entire length of the bank 15-20m at a time.

I don't fish the piers or beaches so can't help you there.
Inwant to nomnomnom :fish22: so yeah id like to eat it but I aint eating anything from the yarra

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:08 pm

Try pm nude up.....he has a secret flatty spot near you

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Return to “Flathead fishing”