Spot for flatties? HELP A NEWBIE

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Spot for flatties? HELP A NEWBIE

Post by wem21 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:16 pm

Nearly every week I go to Sandy/Brighton breakwall with some SP's to flick around on the marina side. But, I never catch there so I wanted to try some other spots! If you guys could recommend any land based spots that would be awesome :cheers: Also (not trying to be nosy/stealing your spots) if you have any secret spots PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PM me! I am desperate to get my first flathead :-D
thanks -Remus

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Re: Spot for flatties? HELP A NEWBIE

Post by fishingvic » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:00 pm

You are in the right areas. Just keep persisting. I have had more success in Jan, Feb and March flicking plastics for flathead in Melbourne.
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:52 am

Those two areas are good and you can also try St Kilda pier, just like fishingvic said keep persisting
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:46 am

LB flatties are always tougher as they dont move around much so drifting in a boat/kayak covers the ground required to find them. So the principle is you need to be able move so you can cover more area. Around piers are likely to have been fished out, so if you can access less populated spots even better.

Similarly a heavy jig head so you can cast further

wem21

Post by wem21 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:34 am

laneends wrote:LB flatties are always tougher as they dont move around much so drifting in a boat/kayak covers the ground required to find them. So the principle is you need to be able move so you can cover more area. Around piers are likely to have been fished out, so if you can access less populated spots even better.

Thanks! If you have any landbased spots, would you mind PM them to me? I am desperate XD

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:20 am

wem21 wrote:
laneends wrote:LB flatties are always tougher as they dont move around much so drifting in a boat/kayak covers the ground required to find them. So the principle is you need to be able move so you can cover more area. Around piers are likely to have been fished out, so if you can access less populated spots even better.

Thanks! If you have any landbased spots, would you mind PM them to me? I am desperate XD
Any of the Piers or beaches from Port Melbourne to Sandringham. Honestly there are no secret flathead spots that I know of...
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:16 am

You are in the right areas mate. The grounds between port Melbourne through to st kilda are areas where in the past I have caught plenty of flatties as well :)

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:50 pm

fishingvic wrote:
wem21 wrote:

Any of the Piers or beaches from Port Melbourne to Sandringham. Honestly there are no secret flathead spots that I know of...
Betcha nude up has ! :rofl:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

wem21

Post by wem21 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:13 pm

hornet wrote:
fishingvic wrote:
wem21 wrote:

Betcha nude up has ! :rofl:
Lol I'll be sure to PM nude up!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:29 pm

Here is one mark.

-37.801643, 144.907634.

You can get other species too.

Return to “Flathead fishing”