Has mallacoota been slow lately?

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
blakesirus

Has mallacoota been slow lately?

Post by blakesirus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:50 am

Hi All,

I`m new to this site and would like to thank everyone who has posted on it as it contains great info and I much appreciate it! But back to my question, was fishing 'Coota in mid-Jan and only caught a flathead on a Squidgy Drop-Bear... decent size but in years prior I`d caught heaps. Other fisho`s in the area at the time also had poor fishing and blamed it on higher numbers of prawn in the lakes and said the fish were feeding on them. I`m going to Mallacoota next week and am obviously hoping for more luck but I`d like to know and appreciate it if anyone has any advice or tips on what lures have been working well lately and/or if they`ve had trouble at 'Coota too? I`m no expert fisherman but love it nevertheless and usually can pull 1 or 2 out and also I`m interested in catching fish that aren`t flatties.... i.e bream or luderick.
Cheers,

Blake

pappyy3
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Has mallacoota been slow lately?

Post by pappyy3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:52 am

My humble recommendation is: If the fish are feeding on prawn, then that's what you should be using as bait - or using a prawn immitation type lure ....

blakesirus

Post by blakesirus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi pappy,

probably very true! aha, cheers.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:49 pm

pappyy3 wrote:My humble recommendation is: If the fish are feeding on prawn, then that's what you should be using as bait - or using a prawn immitation type lure ....
i was just about to type this in the other thread but thought i'd read both first. try the squidgy prawn paddle tails on a 1/8th or 1/4oz jighead for the flatties.

blakesirus

Post by blakesirus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:53 pm

thanks heaps mate! cheers

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:06 am

Heading there too Over Easter, but by all accounts its gonna be tough.

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:23 pm

If you're boat based
From the main ramp head into the lake past the speed limit marker and around to the red markers opposite the start of Harrisions. Not sure about now but over summer a couple of the guys flicking plastics in there bagged out on flatties reasonably quickly and also picked up some nice flounder and a couple of bream as by-catch.
As for bait I usually stop in to a supermarket and get 1-2Kg of the green banana prawns raw and then bag them up into smaller bags at home and freeze them. You can cut them up into 3 or 4 baits each and chasing bream early morning they have done well in the past.
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers,

Return to “Flathead fishing”