First time for Flathead

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
Yippie Kay Yay

First time for Flathead

Post by Yippie Kay Yay » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Hey guys,

Been back in the game a few weeks now, mainly squid fishing and have had some good luck. Lost a few jigs but that gives me a reason to go back to the tackle shop and buy more toys right?

Anyway, I got some soft plastics and some jig heads this lunch and plan on targeting Flathead out around Brighton / Hampton / St Kilda for the first time. Any tips for good locations - things to look out for. I've read about looking for gullies from the beach that baitfish will be in but I'm not sure what exactly gullies look like...

Thanks.
Learn to trade shares and turn your savings into an income.
The only thing stopping you is 30 minutes a day.
Get your free guide to trading with The A-Line at
http://www.aberdeentrading.com

boosted

Re: First time for Flathead

Post by boosted » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:06 pm

In.
Wish I could give some advice sadly know nothing of the area, isn't it too cold for flathead? Thy are in deeper water this time or year I thought?

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:15 pm

boosted wrote:In.
Wish I could give some advice sadly know nothing of the area, isn't it too cold for flathead? Thy are in deeper water this time or year I thought?
Yeah they come in close when the water is warmer, unless you have boat to go and drift the drop offs.....

Joshthefisherman

Post by Joshthefisherman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Hey guys, am just new to this blog and actually am Sydney based but am an avid flatty angler. They are much harder to catch in winter but definitely still around, and yep Poodoo they tend to follow the waterline right up to the edge I find in winter. Just wrote a post about some of the flatties I've been catching here in Sydney lately during winter, check it out: http://www.joshthefisherman.com. Good luck also, good fun when you hit some bigger ones :)
http://www.joshthefisherman.com
Fishing addict & blogger

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Cant help with that side of the but from , werribbe side just drift in 5 to 10 meters of and you will get them , pilly ,blue bait
Would not bother drifiting in deep water like 20 meters only seem to get small ones.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Flathead fishing”