I keep losing my bait

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: I keep losing my bait

Post by frozenpod » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:10 pm

I suggest you use a thin 5/0 hook and cut the bait to suit the hook.

IE pilchard cubes, nice size cube that goes through the hook once and has the barb clearly exposed or squid use small strips that are fed through the hook twice and has little excess.

If the piranhas are out use tough bait ie squid, flathead, salmon ect and expect to loose a lot.

Just about any rig will do but rigs with little slack ie paternosta have a higher catch rate.

slinga

Post by slinga » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Take note of what Cheater said. Flathead = Flathead
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

TONKA

Post by TONKA » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:51 am

Is there anything wrong with just using plain cotton thread? That's all bait mate looks like to me...

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:07 am

The products I have tried were waxed thread similar to dental floss.

justamug

Post by justamug » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:04 am

:lolf: shazzagraz I would be rapt if my young bloke waited 30 seconds!!!
shazzagraz wrote:
rafei1 wrote:In regards to flat heads, what is the most effective rig, ive never caight flatheads landbased yet, because im more focused on bream, Aussie salmon and pinkies.
IMO a running sinker rig is best for flathead. This way the bait sits on the bottom (where flathead feed). If you've been soaking your bait for a little while with no bites, give the reel a couple of slow turns of the handle to move the bait along the sea floor a little bit and hopefully get the attention of a flathead.

I took my son fishing one night at Brighton pier and was getting frustrated with him because he wouldn't leave his line in the water for any longer than 30 seconds after each cast. I kept telling him that he needed to be patient and leave the bait alone for a bit to give the fish a chance to come along and eat it, but sure enough on one of his retrieves his rod loaded up and he was onto a nice 30ish cm flathead.

I need to get him into soft plastics fishing, he doesn't have the patience for bait soaking.

Anyway, moral of the story is, keep your bait on the bottom, and a moving bait may help to gain the attention of a preying fish.
"How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't live there"?
- Steven Wright

Timi200

Post by Timi200 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:18 am

Justa isn't that photo abit inappropriate?

justamug

Post by justamug » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:22 pm

I quite liked it mate but I'll change it for you
"How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't live there"?
- Steven Wright

TONKA

Post by TONKA » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:16 pm

TONKA wrote:Is there anything wrong with just using plain cotton thread? That's all bait mate looks like to me...
seems i can answer my own question now... tonight where i was fishing someone had left a spool of cotton thread so i used it to wrap up the large pilchards i was using and the pickers still managed to eat their way around it.

Return to “Flathead fishing”