still chasing my first illusive flattie

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: still chasing my first illusive flattie

Post by frozenpod » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:17 am

1m is way too shallow at this time of year. We are currently getting best results in 18m plus with very few below 6m.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:25 am

frozenpod wrote:1m is way too shallow at this time of year. We are currently getting best results in 18m plus with very few below 6m.
dont think ive ever caught a legal flatty on a boat, always get the undersized ones.....

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:49 am

My best spot for flatties is only 5 metres deep the thing with flathead if your not near the bottom you won't get a flattie 99% of my fishing is off a boat. But have seen plenty caught land based near boat ramps the largest flattie I have seen pulled from ppb was from the mouth of the werribee river.
I find flathead love the pumpkinseed colour as for type curl tail or worm let it hit the bottom 2 quick lifts wind in the slack wait till it hits the bottom wait 5 to 10 seconds repeat 2 quick lifts. Get ready for the strike normally when stationary.
Attachments
flathead.jpg
flathead.jpg (109.44 KiB) Viewed 509 times

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:56 am

The deeper you go, the smaller they get.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:58 am

purple5ive wrote:
frozenpod wrote:1m is way too shallow at this time of year. We are currently getting best results in 18m plus with very few below 6m.
dont think ive ever caught a legal flatty on a boat, always get the undersized ones.....
We caught 40 within 4hrs both Sat and 40 in less than 2hrs on Sun with the smallest kept 35cm and 15 of the 40 were over 45cm on Sunday similar results on Saturday (biggest fish were 60 and 62cm and they were released).

The best location was the edge of a drop off 32-36m, we started in 10m and kept moving deeper until we found them.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:58 am

Snapper Snatcher wrote:The deeper you go, the smaller they get.
At this time of year typically that is incorrect.

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 pm

It's just a general rule, usually once you get over 10m you wont get the bigger fish over 50-60cm. Not saying it cant happen but it's just a general rule.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:15 pm

At other times of the year that is typically correct but not atm.

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:22 pm

My biggest flatty on soft plastic was caught in mordi Creek, just near the mouth fishing from the concrete path where the boats are moored. It was 49cm, so not a monster but still a decent sized flathead. It was probably around this time of the year too, but a couple years back.

Denada

Post by Denada » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:43 pm

Try 3 - 5 metres, 1 m is way too shallow despite how a lot of people say you don't need to go deep to get flatties. there hasn't been a trip where I don't see people catching flatheads when I go to st kilda harbour, you gotta do it on the jetty though, anything on rock is gonna be pinky and toad, 30 - 50 metres on the jetty from the cafe/restaurant on the rocks is a gold spot.

You can use big SP and big jighead to catch flatties cos they'll eat anything and have a huge ass mouth but if you do use em, you won't be able to get a shot at any other specie (cos its too freaken big lol!) i personally just slow retrieve at the bottom, no hop no jerk, just slow retrieve (3 - 5 seconds per reel handle rotation <- that slow) you'll be able to feel every little bump the SP is colliding on the sand floor, and when a flatty takes it, you'll know cos it gets snagged, but the flatty won't retaliate until you actually strike (they'll actually try to swallow the SP swimming at the same pace as your retrieve, and when you strike it'll start to wobble, and fight like crazy for the first 5 - 10 seconds, they got crap house stamina though flatties, burst str but for short duration :P but of course I'm talking about the just legal size (27 - 35) ones, I imagine 40cm + would be a good fight. I wouldn't use any jighead lighter than 1/8, because its slow as hell to keep it at the bottom! good luck!

Return to “Flathead fishing”