My first wild trout!

shazdoggg

Re: My first wild trout!

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Broomstick wrote:
shazdoggg wrote:Nice report and pics! Congrats on ticking off 2 new species!! What outfit and line were you using for the day?
Thanks mate! I was using a 2004 sol II with 4lb braid and 4lb leader, and a 1-3kg xt tavia. Nothin fancy!
Im not familiar with the xt tavia but im guessing that it would be an awesome outfit for stream trout(usually small). I asked because I thought maybe your casting error might have been due to a 7ft rod or oversized line etc. I still manage to snag lures on EVERY trout bash but I get 99% back cos im wading.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:10 pm

shazdoggg wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
shazdoggg wrote:Nice report and pics! Congrats on ticking off 2 new species!! What outfit and line were you using for the day?
Thanks mate! I was using a 2004 sol II with 4lb braid and 4lb leader, and a 1-3kg xt tavia. Nothin fancy!
Im not familiar with the xt tavia but im guessing that it would be an awesome outfit for stream trout(usually small). I asked because I thought maybe your casting error might have been due to a 7ft rod or oversized line etc. I still manage to snag lures on EVERY trout bash but I get 99% back cos im wading.
Actually yeah the rod is about 7ft long (it's my flats rod) - maybe I'll invest in something shorter for next time. I did manage to get all my lures back, but I nearly went over in the fast-flowing water a couple of times
Last edited by Broomstick on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Broomstick wrote:
shazdoggg wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Actually yeah the rod is about 7ft long (it's my flats rod) - I'll have to invest in something shorter for next time. I did manage to get all my lures back, but I nearly went over in the fast-flowing water a couple of times
i can tell you now there is nothing wrong with using a 7ft rod on trout streams. normally what i'd look for in a trout stream rod is a slower action as this allows you to easily load up the rod in small spaces. also learn to cast your spin gear like you would a bait caster.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:50 am

i have to find some of these fresh water spots! They just look calm and relaxing!

goody1971

Post by goody1971 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:39 am

Hey mate, I am on here now too! Great report and a great day out. Glad you got a couple of trout on the board and got the taste for it. Next time I'm sure we'll get onto some bigger units. Cheers, Goody

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:40 am

matt1991 wrote:i have to find some of these fresh water spots! They just look calm and relaxing!
Calm and relaxing until you stand on a tiger snake :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:12 pm

Great post...healthly trout there
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”