Lauriston res.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Lauriston res.

Post by Redhunter » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Gday folks!
Went for a drive up to Lauriston this morning with the bro to see if we could snare a feed. It was fresh, but a cracker of a morning. Armed with gumboots, a bumbag full of lures, a net, and a rod & reel each, we started peppering the lake with casts. As usual, not much surface activity. A few small browns following xr6's & 8's, to our feet, but nothing was committing. We persisted further along the shoreline, until we got to a section where the bank steepened right up and the water deepened. It looked like reddie territory so I decided to change the pace a bit and have a crack, and tied on a bright 2-pce shad rap and continued casting. I thought the deep diver would have brought a good winter red undone, but they didn't seem to want to play ball. It was 11am by this stage, and we decided that we cover another 200m of shoreline, then pull the pin. I reckon it was the very next cast when, whack! A nice pan-sized brown of 46cms shows a liking to my lure and put a great little show! Must have jumped 4-5 times. It feels so much more fulfilling when you've "earnt" it. I was now content, but wanted my bro to put one on the board. Probably another 10 casts later and he was on! Another nice little brown of 42cms. Awesome, a fish each! We put in a few more casts but nothing else seemed interested, so we pulled the pin. Mission accomplished, we had caught a feed.
On the way home I thought I'd drive round the back for a look, and bugger me it looks like they've re-opened it! There's a bit of work going on, and you can only drive so far in at this stage, but it is now accessible! After being locked out of there for so many years I'm looking forward to making a few trips up there this winter.
Cheers,
Redhunter

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Lauriston res.

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Good report

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:43 pm

Nice report mate.
Enjoy the feed :thumbsup:

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Redhunter wrote:Gday folks!
Went for a drive up to Lauriston this morning with the bro to see if we could snare a feed. It was fresh, but a cracker of a morning. Armed with gumboots, a bumbag full of lures, a net, and a rod & reel each, we started peppering the lake with casts. As usual, not much surface activity. A few small browns following xr6's & 8's, to our feet, but nothing was committing. We persisted further along the shoreline, until we got to a section where the bank steepened right up and the water deepened. It looked like reddie territory so I decided to change the pace a bit and have a crack, and tied on a bright 2-pce shad rap and continued casting. I thought the deep diver would have brought a good winter red undone, but they didn't seem to want to play ball. It was 11am by this stage, and we decided that we cover another 200m of shoreline, then pull the pin. I reckon it was the very next cast when, whack! A nice pan-sized brown of 46cms shows a liking to my lure and put a great little show! Must have jumped 4-5 times. It feels so much more fulfilling when you've "earnt" it. I was now content, but wanted my bro to put one on the board. Probably another 10 casts later and he was on! Another nice little brown of 42cms. Awesome, a fish each! We put in a few more casts but nothing else seemed interested, so we pulled the pin. Mission accomplished, we had caught a feed.
On the way home I thought I'd drive round the back for a look, and bugger me it looks like they've re-opened it! There's a bit of work going on, and you can only drive so far in at this stage, but it is now accessible! After being locked out of there for so many years I'm looking forward to making a few trips up there this winter.
Cheers,
Redhunter
Which back section do you mean. A few months back I went for a flick one afternoon and it was my first time there and the only access I could find was the scenic loop that goes around to the dam wall and back out to the road.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:03 pm

KeenAds wrote: Which back section do you mean. A few months back I went for a flick one afternoon and it was my first time there and the only access I could find was the scenic loop that goes around to the dam wall and back out to the road.
Off lauriston-springhill rd.
There's also another access point off lauriston reservoir rd. Just before you reach the main entry road to the main entrance, you cross a small creek/drain where the road passes reasonably close to the water. You can park on the side of the road and walk in through there too. You'll often see another car or so parked there.
Hope this helps.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks. Will have to check it out next time.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:11 am

Great read red hunter nice to hear you are out and about

TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Post by TheNix » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:11 am

Great report. I tend to concentrate on the Malmsbury and the Upper Coliban, but it might be worth taking another look at the Lauriston as well.

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”