My first wild trout!

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

My first wild trout!

Post by Broomstick » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Hey guys,
As a few of you would know I've been wanting to tick a few freshwater species off the list, so when a member off another forum (Goody1971) asked me if I'd like to join him for a trout hunt, I didn't have to think too long about my answer (is the pope bloody catholic?!?). So on Sunday I drove up to his place, keen as mustard to catch my first wild trout! After a quick chat we jumped in the car and made our way to Goody's favourite little stream, and boy did it look good:

Well, it didn't take me long to discover that trout fishing is a lot harder than it looks. Thank god Goody was there, otherwise I would have spent the whole day casting in the wrong areas and retrieving my lures from trees. So after a quick tutorial we started casting and it didn't take long for Goody to have the first fish on the board:

A beautiful little brown. Not a bad start! By this stage I was getting pretty excited, but I quickly realised that Goody was a class above me as a fisherman - he was putting cast after cast within an inch of the bank, while I spent the majority of my time snagged on timber or stuck in a tree. For the first time ever I also saw the massive advantage of reeling and casting with opposite hands. Because I cast and reel right handed, by the time I'd flicked out a lure, swapped hands, flipped the bail arm over and started winding, my lure was already halfway to my feet. So I decided to switch to left hand retrieve - let's just say this made things worse hah. But while all this was going on, Goody landed a couple of beautiful little rainbows, despite letting me have the first few casts in all the good pools:

Goody was doing all he could to get me a fish, and fortunately I started to sort my sh$t out and started landing some casts in the right spots (after changing back to right handed retrieve). It took some time, but after losing a nice fish, I finally managed to stay connected to one:

A fat little rainbow, and my first wild trout. You little ripper! I was stoked, and I think Goody was pretty happy for me too. By this stage we'd almost reached the end of the stretch of stream we were fishing, so after a couple more casts we started making our way back. On our way to the car, we decided to have one last cast in a fishy looking spot and first cast, I was on again:

A brown this time, and another first for me. I couldn't have been happier! Goody also managed to land a nice little brown while I was de-hooking mine, which was a perfect end to this little session. However, the day was still young, so we decided to explore some other streams with the hope of finding a bigger fish:

We explored some beautiful areas but, despite a heap of strikes, follows and hook-ups, we couldn't land another fish. But I couldn't have cared less - I'd ticked two new species off the list and I was over the moon. Thanks heaps to Goody for taking me out - you're an absolute ripper and a gun fisho! I learnt a heap and can't wait to give it another crack.

Cheers!

Last edited by Broomstick on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: My first wild trout!

Post by davek » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:26 pm

Good work Broomstick, congrats on the first trout and well done Goody for helping out. The first little brown was a hungry bugger :lol: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:34 pm

good work, as always a good read!
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dick83

Post by Dick83 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Well done Broomstick congrats on the catch. still remember when i caught my first Wild trout. Keeping working on the left handed retrieve feels very weird at first but you'll master it quicker than you think.
2014/15 Species Comp. 0cm

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm lucky and casting with the right and reeling with the left felt natural from the off. Definitely stick with it - makes life so much easier when lure fishing. Great report :)

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:44 pm

Nice report and pics! Congrats on ticking off 2 new species!! What outfit and line were you using for the day?
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:49 pm

davek wrote:Good work Broomstick, congrats on the first trout and well done Goody for helping out. The first little brown was a hungry bugger :lol: cheers davo
Cheers Dave, yeah he absolutely smashed that lure!
AVG_Fisho wrote:good work, as always a good read!
Thanks mate!
Dick83 wrote:Well done Broomstick congrats on the catch. still remember when i caught my first Wild trout. Keeping working on the left handed retrieve feels very weird at first but you'll master it quicker than you think.
Thanks mate. Yeah I tried the left hand retrieve for a while a few months ago but I lost a really good fish doing it, so I changed back and swore I'd never try it again hah
sloth wrote:I'm lucky and casting with the right and reeling with the left felt natural from the off. Definitely stick with it - makes life so much easier when lure fishing. Great report :)
Cheers Sloth, yeah I'll stick with it for sure!
Last edited by Broomstick on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:58 pm

You little beauty Broomstick, I'm really rapped for you mate.. :super: Well done, and now you've caught your first brown & rainbow trout, hopefully you've been bitten by the bug
and get back into a river ASAP.. :set1_fishing: There's nothing better than river fishing for trout that's for sure.. Great report and photos too..

cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:59 pm

shazdoggg wrote:Nice report and pics! Congrats on ticking off 2 new species!! What outfit and line were you using for the day?
Thanks mate! I was using a 2004 sol II with 4lb braid and 4lb leader, and a 1-3kg xt tavia. Nothin fancy!

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:02 pm

meppstas wrote:You little beauty Broomstick, I'm really rapped for you mate.. :super: Well done, and now you've caught your first brown & rainbow trout, hopefully you've been bitten by the bug
and get back into a river ASAP.. :set1_fishing: There's nothing better than river fishing for trout that's for sure.. Great report and photos too..

cheers
Adrian
Thanks mate :). I absolutely loved it, can't wait to get out there and give it another crack!

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”