Victorian High Country Trout Fishing

Ploh

Victorian High Country Trout Fishing

Post by Ploh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Victorian High Country Trout Fishing Report

After the Easter weekend crowds had died down, I decided to head up to the Victorian High Country for a couple of days to camp and fish for trout.
Prior to this trip, I had never fished for trout in a natural, freshwater river and thus spent many hours asking questions about general trout fishing and researching the area. As with all my fishing trips, I left with no expectation of catching fish - seeing or catching any fish would be a bonus.

After a couple hours of driving from Melbourne and hurtling down dirt roads laden with pot holes, I finally reached the campsite. It was nothing like I had ever seen. A beautiful, clean river ran right past where I would eventually pitch my tent. The air was clean, fresh and crisp, nothing like what we are exposed to on a day-to-day basis in Melbourne. This was true Victorian country.
camp.jpg
The beginning of a long stretch of bumpy and dusty roads

I quickly set up camp and got the rod out. I was using a 6 foot 6 Jarvis Walker Bullseye rod with 6lb mono. I brought an arsenal of lures including some shallow divers in brown trout colour (Muzza lures - highly recommend), and a plethora of Mepps spinners, courtesy of Adrian.
camp4.jpg
The beauty of the Victorian Alpine region

The first spot I decided to fish was a tiny deep pool just upstream of my campsite. It was not very big but was incredibly deep.
I clipped on one of the Mepps spinners and cast in a few times. After a while, a small shadow emerged from the depths and followed the spinner. There was no hook up but it was clear that there was something lurking in the depths.
camp1.jpg
The first deep hole that was fished

With some more persistence, the fish eventually latched onto the Mepps spinner. After a quick battle, the fish was landed and placed in a small pool of water that had accumulated in one of the recesses of a rock. I had never caught a fish like this but instantly recognised it. A small Macquarie perch. The lure was quickly removed and it was released back into the water.
camp2.jpg
Macquarie Perch - an endangered species that can incur a $4000 fine

Over the course of the next couple of days, I trekked through many different areas, finding more deep pools to fish in hopes of catching a trout. My hands and arms were covered in scratches from the masses of blackberry bushes which I scraped along the way.
camp5.jpg
camp7.jpg
Blood was shed to reach these spots

My mate landed two beautiful brown trout which were kept for dinner. They were slowly cooked over a campfire on a hot plate. Simple but they tasted amazing.
Both were caught in the same stretch of the river so we returned the next day to the same spot in hopes of finding some more trout. A trout latched onto a hard body lure but managed to unhook itself as I attempted to tighten my drag. Nevertheless, it was an exhilarating experience to even come close to catching one.
camp3.jpg
The two browns that were caught

Trout or no trout, this was some of the most beautiful country I have ever experienced. Seeing the morning fog roll over the river in the morning and an unpolluted view of the Milky Way at night made the trip entirely worthwhile. Getting to see some fish was the icing on the cake.
I hope our future generations are blessed with this unique and largely untouched area of Victoria.
camp6.jpg
It's easy to forget how many stars are actually in the sky when you live away from the countryside

A huge thanks to the forum member who helped me prepare for the trip (you know who you are). And thank you to Adrian/Meppstas for his unparalleled generosity and advice with regards to trout fishing.
camp8.jpg
Last edited by Ploh on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sinsemilla

Re: Victorian High Country Trout Fishing

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Good work mate. We have a beautiful backyard don't we!

Cheers, Anth

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Great report, makes me want to head back into the bush.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:03 pm

A ripper of a report there Ploh followed up with some top photos mate, there's certainly nothing like being away from city & suburbia life that's for sure and it's one of the pleasure of fishing inland waters, Shame you didn't catch & land your first trout, but now that you've had your first crack at it I'm sure you'll be back in a river very soon to have another go.. Well done once again.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Ploh

Post by Ploh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:Good work mate. We have a beautiful backyard don't we!

Cheers, Anth
Absolutely mate. One of the best. Wildlife everywhere you step.
meppstas wrote:A ripper of a report there Ploh followed up with some top photos mate, there's certainly nothing like being away from city & suburbia life that's for sure and it's one of the pleasure of fishing inland waters, Shame you didn't catch & land your first trout, but now that you've had your first crack at it I'm sure you'll be back in a river very soon to have another go.. Well done once again.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
Thank you Adrian. It was a huge risk to bring the Canon camera on the trip but totally worth it.
It is a shame that I missed out but as you said, I'll definitely be back for round 2 in the near future.
Cheers for all the print outs, lures and solid advice. I'll have to come down to Tassie for a fish some day.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Brilliant stuff mate. You've inspired me to explore some of the high country myself. Thanks for sharing.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Ploh wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:Good work mate. We have a beautiful backyard don't we!

Cheers, Anth
Absolutely mate. One of the best. Wildlife everywhere you step.
meppstas wrote:A ripper of a report there Ploh followed up with some top photos mate, there's certainly nothing like being away from city & suburbia life that's for sure and it's one of the pleasure of fishing inland waters, Shame you didn't catch & land your first trout, but now that you've had your first crack at it I'm sure you'll be back in a river very soon to have another go.. Well done once again.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
Thank you Adrian. It was a huge risk to bring the Canon camera on the trip but totally worth it.
It is a shame that I missed out but as you said, I'll definitely be back for round 2 in the near future.
Cheers for all the print outs, lures and solid advice. I'll have to come down to Tassie for a fish some day.
Feel free to look me up when you do mate.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Top report and pic's :a_goodjob: Great to see a macca in there :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:35 pm

Nice report and pics mate :thumbsup: