Amazing day

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Amazing day

Post by Texas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:19 pm

donutcrooks wrote:G'day gents,
I recently purchased a new rod which was recommended by the amazing, purle5ive! I ended up buying a 4-6kg Shimano Sonic Pro rod with a 2500 Shimano Sienna reel with 10lb chosen line. I went to this new fishing spot suggested by a friend and it was a fantastic spot. I took my grandmother who doesn't really get out much and we travelled a hour from where we live. We went over hills and saw beautiful scenery. She even said that even if we do not catch a fish the drive was worth it.

We got there and there was not much people fishing(maybe 5-10). I showed nan how to cast out and reel in, which was pretty funny since I am new at it too. After helping her and letting her go have fun on her own I started to rig my new baby up. I set it up with a few lures and started casting in and out. I got a few nibbles but nothing was going for it.

About 10minutes after having a few casts nan said the rain was coming and she could tell by the smell. I found it weird she could know and then out of no where it started pouring down. We then hurried off and left with no fish but a heck loud of fun under our belts.

What a great day, you and your Nan.
Fish or not, the bestest

Gra

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:43 pm

That looks like Stoney Creek Res have had many a great session there and its a beautiful place also. Just don't fish in the restricted zones marked on the map in the carpark as fisheries frequent the area.
Attachments
Stoney Creek Res May-June 2017 (10).jpg

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:25 pm

Marty.A wrote:That looks like Stoney Creek Res have had many a great session there and its a beautiful place also. Just don't fish in the restricted zones marked on the map in the carpark as fisheries frequent the area.
It was! I'm not that good at fishing so I just tried some soft plastics and stayed in the zones that were marked. Any tips for catching trout?

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:42 pm

donutcrooks wrote:
Marty.A wrote:That looks like Stoney Creek Res have had many a great session there and its a beautiful place also. Just don't fish in the restricted zones marked on the map in the carpark as fisheries frequent the area.
It was! I'm not that good at fishing so I just tried some soft plastics and stayed in the zones that were marked. Any tips for catching trout?
You can bait fish the dam wall where its deeper but be prepared for a lot of guys walking the wall casting lures. You can also fish the spot opposite the carpark where the little wall made from sleepers is it shallower but its best fished early morning before sunrise to an hour after as the big trout come in close. Just walk the bank from there to the end of the dam wall flicking a few different lures with varying retrieves works for me and casting along the various reed beds. Or just pick a spot soak a bait and enjoy the scenery. :thumbsup:

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Marty.A wrote:
donutcrooks wrote:
You can bait fish the dam wall where its deeper but be prepared for a lot of guys walking the wall casting lures. You can also fish the spot opposite the carpark where the little wall made from sleepers is it shallower but its best fished early morning before sunrise to an hour after as the big trout come in close. Just walk the bank from there to the end of the dam wall flicking a few different lures with varying retrieves works for me and casting along the various reed beds. Or just pick a spot soak a bait and enjoy the scenery. :thumbsup:
I was planning on going next Sunday as it's Fathers Day and I sadly have no father so I might as well fish in honour of all the fathers out there!

I also have these dried worms that need added water and become invigorated. Opinions on them?

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:52 pm

donutcrooks wrote:
Marty.A wrote:
donutcrooks wrote:
I was planning on going next Sunday as it's Fathers Day and I sadly have no father so I might as well fish in honour of all the fathers out there!

I also have these dried worms that need added water and become invigorated. Opinions on them?
Fresh is always bestI stop at the Bacchus Marsh Food Worx servo and buy really fat scrubbies for $12 a punnent.Only other stuff I use is power bait in Chartreuse, Pink and Orange.

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:55 pm

Marty.A wrote:
donutcrooks wrote:
Marty.A wrote:
donutcrooks wrote:

Fresh is always bestI stop at the Bacchus Marsh Food Worx servo and buy really fat scrubbies for $12 a punnent.Only other stuff I use is power bait in Chartreuse, Pink and Orange.
I might sound stupid but I have tried worms before and I always fail at hooking them and end up just quitting. :(

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:59 pm

donutcrooks wrote:
Marty.A wrote:
donutcrooks wrote:
Marty.A wrote:
donutcrooks wrote: It was! I'm not that good at fishing so I just tried some soft plastics and stayed in the zones that were marked. Any tips for catching trout?

I might sound stupid but I have tried worms before and I always fail at hooking them and end up just quitting. :(
Don't strike too early after the second or third nibble ill slowly put tension on the rod tip which seems to work for me, but you will eventually get a feel for it and success will come.

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Marty.A wrote:
donutcrooks wrote:
Marty.A wrote:
donutcrooks wrote:
Marty.A wrote:

Don't strike too early after the second or third nibble ill slowly put tension on the rod tip which seems to work for me, but you will eventually get a feel for it and success will come.
I mean I can't put the worm on the hook properly :(

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Oh this is amusing

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”