Another learning experience

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Another learning experience

Post by Mattblack » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Hope you stick with it Mate...I'm enjoying reading about your journey. I think everyone here is looking forward to you catching your 1st dinner!

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:42 pm

I know exactly how you feel mate. I ve only been fishing for a few months and still wondering why I didn't start earlier. Since I am land based most of the times I get big fat donuts but it only makes me try harder. I have picked up every possible book about knots, rigs and fish species and try and learn as much as I can. I keep making mistakes and lose rigs or even fish but it's all a learning process. Don't give up, the fish will come :victory:

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Kosta7 wrote:I know exactly how you feel mate. I ve only been fishing for a few months and still wondering why I didn't start earlier. Since I am land based most of the times I get big fat donuts but it only makes me try harder. I have picked up every possible book about knots, rigs and fish species and try and learn as much as I can. I keep making mistakes and lose rigs or even fish but it's all a learning process. Don't give up, the fish will come :victory:
great advice sometimes just go down to a local pier and have a look at who is hooking up and learn from what they are doing

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Kosta7 wrote:I know exactly how you feel mate. I ve only been fishing for a few months and still wondering why I didn't start earlier. Since I am land based most of the times I get big fat donuts but it only makes me try harder. I have picked up every possible book about knots, rigs and fish species and try and learn as much as I can. I keep making mistakes and lose rigs or even fish but it's all a learning process. Don't give up, the fish will come :victory:
Same here mate! I always try rig/knot them from memory so I get better without having a picture in front of me but I always seem to do it wrong and lose my stuff. I also am land based and recently got my license so I go wherever I can!

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:55 pm

dazz999 wrote:
great advice sometimes just go down to a local pier and have a look at who is hooking up and learn from what they are doing
I am very shy but I try come out of my shell when fishing and look like I know something. :rofl:

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:01 pm

I put a spinner on my beautiful rod and just moved up and down the shore. I felt more confident using it because there seemed to be little to no snags compared to my local lake. [/quote]

This bit of all jumped out at me. If you want to catch fish you have to fish some form of structure. I'm not confident if I'm just casting a lure into open water free of snags. Whether it be snags,rocks,weed beds, drop off,back eddy etc. fish don't just hang out in open water all the time. If your using lures land based you have to factor in losing some unless you swim for it. But try fishing tighter to the structure and I can assure you that you will have more luck. Dont give up. Makes the ones you catch worth it.

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Hosery wrote:I put a spinner on my beautiful rod and just moved up and down the shore. I felt more confident using it because there seemed to be little to no snags compared to my local lake.
This bit of all jumped out at me. If you want to catch fish you have to fish some form of structure. I'm not confident if I'm just casting a lure into open water free of snags. Whether it be snags,rocks,weed beds, drop off,back eddy etc. fish don't just hang out in open water all the time. If your using lures land based you have to factor in losing some unless you swim for it. But try fishing tighter to the structure and I can assure you that you will have more luck. Dont give up. Makes the ones you catch worth it.[/quote]
I was casting just over some scrubs and near this rock wall. I tried many places even if my spinner would be lost but I can only improve so I will definitely try look out for more structured places!

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:36 pm

donutcrooks wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
I am very shy but I try come out of my shell when fishing and look like I know something. :rofl:
No one was born knowing how to fish. We all need to start from somewhere. It can be very frustrating and expensive. Try and pick your battles. If you can't afford to lose 4-5 lures each session maybe try switching to bait. Also don't forget to have your target for the day instead of just wetting a line and hoping for the best...
Looking forward to hearing all the successful reports :thumbsup:

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”